compass mirror broke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLACK&chrome

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen my mirror show south or east even if I put in drive n turn 360, is it shot? Or is it just because the temp function does not work?

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up a Tahoe a couple weeks ago and mine is out of whack, too. Direction is never right. I've never tinkered with one before and mine only has the temp in Celsius. I don't mind doing the calculation, but I also don't think it's worth replacing. May just pick up a black anodized Bowtie mirror or something. Or the plain Jane OEM mirror...

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
If you hold down the temp button it should give the option to change to Fahrenheit. As for the compass if you hold the button it brings up numbers and I have no clue what that means

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
It might be. But like I said I don't really know

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone

sniper7202

Reaction score
I was told to hold in the compass button until it says to set up compass and then drive in circles in a parking lot to set it. I haven't put mine in yet so I really don't know.

Ben

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I was told to hold in the compass button until it says to set up compass and then drive in circles in a parking lot to set it. I haven't put mine in yet so I really don't know.

Ben
This is supposed to be correct. I have not swapped mine into the 2500 yet either tho.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't have access to an owner's manual check out:
http://www.gentex.com/sites/default/files/CompassReferenceGuideAndTroubleshooting.pdf

How to Troubleshoot Your Compass Mirror
Calibration instructions:
1) If the compass display reads “C” the compass feature must be calibrated.
a) To calibrate the compass, drive the vehicle in up to 3 complete circles at less than 5mph.
Setting the Correct Zone
1. Press the power button (if available) for more than 9 seconds, or until the current Zone.
2. Find your current location and variance Zone Number on the zone map on the pages below.
3. Press the power button (if available) until the new desired Zone Number appears in the
display.
4. Within a few seconds a compass direction will be displayed and the new zone is set.
Note: It is recommended to take your vehicle to your local dealership if your mirror does not have
a power button.
Note: Installing items such as a ski rack, antenna, luggage rack, or recent body repair can cause
changes to the vehicle’s magnetic field. This may require that the compass be recalibrated by
performing the recalibration procedure
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
This ^^^^^^ i had to change my zone to make the compass read correctly

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Thanks that clears up a ton! Just can't tell if I'm in zone 8 or 9