CodyB's '96 Silverado Chat Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
What about the one your building. I'm hearing conflicting info on welding it in. I see ones specifically made to weld in yet I've been told that is not acceptable, vibrations and the frame flexing will eventually crack my welds.

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well the one I am going to build for Sierra will be just like one that you would buy, I am going to cut down a regular class 3 reciever hitch and turn it in to hidden hitch, but as far as the frame cracking goes I personally have have welded in cross member's, with a very rigid frame, and most of the newer truck's today all have welded in crossmember's, including in the rear. I would say if you ar worried about it, add some pieces of plate to you design that can be bloted to the frame rail's as well then you won't have to question it again.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Showfest is a no go for me... I just put 2 and 2 together, Dads wedding is May 14'th.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Its difficult finding the wheel I want, figuring out just what backspacing I need, and how wide of a wheel I can fit if I want to bag my truck later down the road. So far I'm pretty much sold on Boss Motorsports 335 (5 spoke/lug) or 330 (6 spoke/lug) in a 22"x9"or 22"x9.5" with I think a 265/35-45 tire. Around here the roads aren't always smooth as glass, so the 45 aspect ratio tire would probably help out, and keep it from looking like its ballooning too bad. Nowhere has those wheels in the price range I'm thinking of and looks very reputable, is advertising the 5x5" lug pattern for the 335 on the net. Now I could probably find the parts to swap out spindles, brakes, rotors, and misc up front and a whole axle out back to make my C1500 into a 6 lug, but that's added cost...However the benefit is I could easily swap them onto the Tahoe I'll be getting later on with no spacers or adapters.

I'm on a pretty tight budget right now so I don't have much room to wiggle here, and I have to get paint and tires out of that budget. Good news is I have a set of 16" factory 6 lug wheels if I do the 6 lug swap and don't have the money for wheels and tires...

I could also save some cash by dropping down to 20's, but I would rather go with the factory 16's than have to step down to them. Also I've already ditched the Idea of 24's to go with 22's to save money...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing to think about, I was thinking about swapping our 2DR to 6 lug but I have since found that most of the 6 lug wheel's I like are not designed to have the front hub stick through them, they are made to bolt on the sealed bearing type hub, like the nbs has, but the swap could definitly be done easy enough. As for the size if your truck was going to stay static dropped say 4-6 I'd go with 20's with more sidewall, but with bag's I'd go for 22's no question. I can send you some pic's of how big the firewall tub's are on Sierra's truck since he has the same wheel's you were talking about, it might be some food for thought to look at them just in case you decide to bag it in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben1975