Chris AU's '94 ECSB K1500 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Alright, after fighting and removing pretty much everything from the top of the engine I got the valve covers off, cleaned, and back on with new gaskets and grommets. Having a hard time getting the fitting back into the throttle body for the brake booster vacuum line, I quit for the night with it still out to try it again tomorrow. I did get the a new EGR valve on as well. I have to put a new ring terminal on one of the grounds and I broke the vacuum line from the throttle body to the EGR valve solenoid, but I came up with what I think was a pretty good fix for a part that cant be found in OEM form anymore - I took heat shrink that fit very tight over the hose and joined them back with it and then slid another piece of heat shrink a size larger over it and shrunk them. Seems like it will hold up just fine. I also got the rear u-bolt excess cut off, looks much better now. I drained the oil and got a new filter on it, holy cow I have never fought an oil filter that hard. I ended up having to jam some wide pliers through it and contort them every which way possible to get it to turn, a screwdriver was just going to rip the filter in half. My filter wrench was just denting it. Crazy. One thing I did forget was a new oil filler cap, so I am going to pick one of them up tomorrow.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I will be doing my valve covers this weekend, What was in the way? Besides the ignition wires, the PCV and breather tube?

And I have never came across a filter that was that tight before. I have had a drain plug that was so tight, I wrecked the customers oil pan.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I will be doing my valve covers this weekend, What was in the way? Besides the ignition wires, the PCV and breather tube?

And I have never came across a filter that was that tight before. I have had a drain plug that was so tight, I wrecked the customers oil pan.

I pretty much undid the entire main wiring harness, but by far the two biggest helps were on the driver side I undid the fitting at the throttle body for the hard tube part of the vacuum line to the brake booster and swung it up out of the way (be mindful I am now fighting to get the fitting back in), and on the passenger side I took the A/C lines out of the back of the compressor, my A/C is empty anyway because there is a hole in the condenser. Obviously you can't do that if your A/C is charged, but the passenger side is still doable without unhooking that. The bracket on the passenger side bolted to the intake manifold that holds the EGR solenoid is a must remove.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Got it all buttoned up tonight and out of the shop, runs great! Still need to do the rear diff and put my XJ shaft on. My buddy who bought my 98 is coming over tomorrow night and we are doing plugs on it and some other small stuff.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Got an alignment and my overhead console in today. They almost turned the steering wheel upside down for the alignment, the previous owner replaced the pitman arm and did not index it correctly. It still has plenty of turning radius each way so I'm going to straighten the wheel when I put my XJ shaft on.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I pretty much undid the entire main wiring harness, but by far the two biggest helps were on the driver side I undid the fitting at the throttle body for the hard tube part of the vacuum line to the brake booster and swung it up out of the way (be mindful I am now fighting to get the fitting back in), and on the passenger side I took the A/C lines out of the back of the compressor, my A/C is empty anyway because there is a hole in the condenser. Obviously you can't do that if your A/C is charged, but the passenger side is still doable without unhooking that. The bracket on the passenger side bolted to the intake manifold that holds the EGR solenoid is a must remove.

Thanks, Not looking forward to do it, but the driver side valve cover has a hole and is leaking pretty good. I picked up a set of chrome ones last year and have been trying to find the time to swap them