Changing wire harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the wiring harness from a 1992 GMC extended cab and install it into a 1991 Chevy single cab?

I want to get rid of the moonie gauges and put a needle cluster in there. Ive read some threads on other forums that you have to do a butt-load of modifications in order to get it to work.

Alternitivly I would much prefer to not swap the entire harness just the backbone inside the cab. Is this possible?

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I want to do is put my needle style gauges in my 1991 Chevy silverado.

The other reason I suggested harness swap is because the PO cut the harness for the radio. (instead of using the proper adapter)

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All I want to do is put my needle style gauges in my 1991 Chevy silverado.

The other reason I suggested harness swap is because the PO cut the harness for the radio. (instead of using the proper adapter)
If you've got a parts truck, tear into it and see what all you'll have to do to get it to work. If it's too much work, just take the connector from the parts truck that the PO cut off yours. Some solder and heat shrink and you'll be good to go. Then just do the modifications needed to swap in a 92 cluster.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1991 and 1992 C/K1500 engine harnesses (providing you have the same engine & trans) are pretty much identical; and just those 2 years - any earlier, 1990 doesn't have the same firewall mounting block shape/# of screws, has the older & larger TPS connector, etc. blah blah. 1993-up will have a 4L60E connector if automatic and won't have a connection for the ESC module as it's built into the PCM. SO...with that said, 1991-1992 you will likely not need to change anything under the hood.

The dash harness can be removed without actually removing the dash. It's a bit of work, but totally do-able. Drop the column down, remove the dash screws across the defrost vent and under each speaker grille, then remove the kick panels and the bolt at either bottom side of the dash by the kick panels. The dash can now be tilted forward and will stop on the brackets with just enough room for you to reach in there and work on disconnecting and removing the harness.

The one gotcha which you will have either way is hacking the dash shell where the gauge cluster connector goes. Shape and depth changed from 1991 to 1992.

Richard