CASE learn or crank relearn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Hey guys.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a Blackbear Performance tune for my truck. It arrived just a few days ago.

Anyway, I installed the new PCM and had to perform security re-learn as the directions included said I would. It all went off without a hitch. However, my check engine light did come on, so I assumed I needed to get a crank re-learn.

I read online that a knowledgeable tech with any major tuner or a GM Tech II could perform a crank re-learn in relatively short order.

Knowing this, I called my local shop, and he said he had the correct tuning equipment for doing a CASE learn. Unfortunately, upon attempting to perform the CASE learn, he was not able to access the right areas of the PCM he said. He was using a Snap-On Verdict tuner.

So I called the two GM dealers within a 50 mile radius of my home. I asked if they could perform a crank re-learn and explained that I had put a new PCM in my truck and the check engine light had came on. One gentlemen said he could perform this for $94, but he would not be able to work me in for an appointment for 2 weeks, and another said that a crank relearn would not cause my light to go off, and most people just took the bulb out of the dash.

With all of that said, I was curious as if you all had any advise on what I can do. Will the shop understand what I need when I say crank-relearn? From what I understand, Snap-On tuners are pretty high end, so would it be possible that gentleman with one may just need to try going to a different section of his Snap-on Verdict? If nothing else, I can let the truck sit for 2 weeks, but I figured I would get your opinion on it before I acted one way or another.

If someone is exceptionally familiar with the Snap-On systems, maybe you can give me and idea what options to tell my shop guy to select?

I appreciate the help

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
If it's running okay, do this before dropping coin on a dealer or shop:

NOTE: If the Crankshaft Variation Relearn is not accessible through your scan tool (some truck applications 1998 & later), perform the relearn in the following manner:

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.
2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.
3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.
4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.
5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.
6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.
7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed. Refer to diagram A on page 8.

May or may not work. Worth a shot. I've heard of it working so it is legit......................

If it doesn't, find someone with a TechII.

http://www.bsecorp.com/files/techtips/ST9303l.pdf