carb swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have often thought of yanking the vortec out of my 96 and putting a carb'd monster in

am i correct to understand that all i would have to do is get a carb with a tps
and the 4l60e that ive got in there will still show everything on the dash? rpm speed gear select

other than that its just throttle cable and im good?

im thinking leave all the wires and other **** in there just in case but put a carbed motor in there..

i have a friend with some good motors laying around and everythings for sale..

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
just from personal experiance, carb'd motors are NOT a benifit. it's better to upgrade to the LS motors. not sure if you've had much experiance with carbs or not.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you had a TBI, I'd say hell yeah. With an automatic trans. Vortec, it's a different story. I went carb from TBI and it was definitely a major improvement. My truck fires as soon as I turn the key when it's cold, runs smoother, and drives much better than the crappy TBI ever did. Tuning by burning chips was always a PITA too. I'm not going to miss that. I can swap cams/heads/etc. now without blinking. The ECM, CC dist, coil, ignition module, TBI, TBI intake, sensors, and related wiring from the harness are all in a box on a shelf should I ever change my mind, but that ain't likely. Again though, I probably wouldn't do it to a Vortec if I had one.