Camper Shell Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
I recently got a new to me camper shell and need to wire the 3rd brake light. I removed the left tail light and probed the plug, this is what I got:

Brown - running
Black - ground
Yellow - brake AND signal
Green - reverse

So obviously I need to use the YELLOW wire, but it will flash with the turn signals - what am I missing here?? :shrug:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to hook it up at the brake switch or to your third brake light on the cab. Otherwise it's going to blink with one of the signals....

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
You will have to hook it up at the brake switch or to your third brake light on the cab. Otherwise it's going to blink with one of the signals....
Thanks for the reply :D

Oh forgot to mention that I have two sets of wiring plugs on my hitch (4-prong and 7-prong plugs) so I can't tap into anything there?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No the trailer plug will be the same with brake an turn on the same wire

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Alright then, thanks guys - figured I could use a relay or something, understanding wiring makes my head hurt :think:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes you need to run a wire from inside the cab for the third brake light, it's not terribly hard though. Google is your friend when figuring out the color code and what wire to check inside the truck. On my 1997, it was a white wire that was accessed on the steering column plug.

You could tap into the center wire in the 7 wire trailer plug if you desire to install interior lighting inside the topper.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is a brake only wire in the back. as well as a 12v constant hot for a light. no need to run to the front. the two wires run together. brake is blue power is orange.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
there is a brake only wire in the back. as well as a 12v constant hot for a light. no need to run to the front. the two wires run together. brake is blue power is orange.

The 'blue' wire you propose to use is supposed to be hooked to a trailer brake controller, this is the output going to the back for a 7 wire trailer plug, and in his case, is already used as such. You cannot use this to power a third brake light, it will be on dim constantly.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score