Bumper replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What yrs rear bumper will replace my 96? Mine is horrible and want a newer one.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Any 88-98 bumper will work...even the 99-07 bumpers can be modified to work, but I'm not sure what all is involved with that

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a bent bumper, make sure you don't have a bent mounting bracket too.

Or if you're replacing an aftermarket bumper for a stock one, make sure and get a set of stock mounting brackets with the replacement bumper. I replaced an old ranch-hand bumper and had to get a set replacement brackets too.

Just a fair warning!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Long box models and short box models differ a bit in the mounting brackets. If I recall correctly, when putting a complete long box bumper ( with the frame brackets ) on a short box truck you have to trim a bit off of the brackets as well as there is no hole drilled for the bolt into the rear spring hanger.

Found this when I went to install a used bumper on a '98 GMC 3/4 ton 8600 GVW short box. Of course, the bumper and brackets had been sandblasted, primed and painted when I found this out... always that way it seems.