building a rcsb 2x4 stroker.... which year truck to start with....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 383 EFI stroker engine making about 425hp just sitting in the garage begging me to put it into something so I figured a clean rcsb p/u would be perfect. I want to run a an auto on it and do NOT want 4x4. So, which year trucks should I focus on?? 700r4 or 4l60e?? I am more of a man pedal type of guy so this performance auto trans stuff is new to me.
FWIW, the engine is running on a FAST stand alone ECU computer. If I use a 4l60e then I will need to figure out a way to control the trans. Not sure what my options are if using a 700r4. I want to keep it simple and it will not be a daily driver.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
it look into a pre vortec truck and go with a 700 just for ease of setup and your definately gona wana look into upgrading the 10 bolt

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
88-95. 95 if you like the newer interior style 88-89 if you like the moonie guages and 90-94 if you like the needle guages. 700s are easy to build not a huge price difference between those and 4l60es though. al youd need is a tv cable to run the 700 instead of a super expensive trans controller for the 4l60e.

if you went with a vortec truck you could run the 4l60e off of the factory computer if you wanted. but then youd have to keep alot of the factory wiring whereas a tbi truck already seems to have less plus you can almost eliminate all of it with a 700r4 since your engine is already stand alone.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
88-95. 95 if you like the newer interior style 88-89 if you like the moonie guages and 90-94 if you like the needle guages. 700s are easy to build not a huge price difference between those and 4l60es though. al youd need is a tv cable to run the 700 instead of a super expensive trans controller for the 4l60e.

if you went with a vortec truck you could run the 4l60e off of the factory computer if you wanted. but then youd have to keep alot of the factory wiring whereas a tbi truck already seems to have less plus you can almost eliminate all of it with a 700r4 since your engine is already stand alone.
you can run a TBI 4L60E with the factory computer.. its been done.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd most likely just run the 700R4 and get rid of as much useless wiring as possible. I would need to figure something out for a speedo if the OEM one gets its signal from the stock ECM and not directly from the VSS on the trans.