Brakes Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
98 Cheyenne 4x4, i got the truck a few days ago and while driving it the same day the brake pedal would start pushing back when i would hit the breaks just a little and it would feel like a some thing is grinding if i kept my foot on the brake pedal while its pushing back. I assume the pushing back is something to do with ABS but I'm not sure. My ABS light is also on and every now and then my driver side front wheel will lock up even when i just slightly use my breaks. I'm guessing that's a sticking caliper. But I'm not a 100% sure so any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yes, that is your ABS. I have no idea about troubleshooting it, I did the ABS delete on mine when i built it.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like ABS. Pull the fuse and see if it goes away. Could it be a be sensor? I read somewhere that if there's larger tires on the truck, and it isn't programmed in, it can mess up the sensor and cause it. Kind of a long shot there but who knows.

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like ABS. Pull the fuse and see if it goes away. Could it be a be sensor? I read somewhere that if there's larger tires on the truck, and it isn't programmed in, it can mess up the sensor and cause it. Kind of a long shot there but who knows.
Right now its got Bridgestone 265/65/18s on it. Thats not far from stock size. I'll pull the fuse and drive it and see what it does. But it hasn't messed up in a day or so. I read on another forum that it could be the wheel hub going out and metal flakes screwing with the wheel speed sensor

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Just unplug the ABS module, pull your cluster, remove the abs light, and have a nice day. No need to actually delete it in your case.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Right now its got Bridgestone 265/65/18s on it. Thats not far from stock size. I'll pull the fuse and drive it and see what it does. But it hasn't messed up in a day or so. I read on another forum that it could be the wheel hub going out and metal flakes screwing with the wheel speed sensor

It's probably not a tire issue then. That was a long shot anyways... If it hasn't messed up, I'd just ride it till it does mess up again then I'd go to an empty parking lot or something and pull the fuse and see if it still does it, just to make sure it is an ABS issue (even though it definitely sounds like an ABS problem to me)
A wheel speed sensor is an ABS sensor, and if I had to take one guess at what the issue is that would be my guess. Check out the ABS sensor if it persists.

Edit: I'm assuming you don't encounter too much ice or snow where you live so you may wanna
Just unplug the ABS module, pull your cluster, remove the abs light, and have a nice day. No need to actually delete it in your case.
as he said. For me, ABS is definitely nice driving in the snow and ice in the winter

That'll be your call, but ditching ABS will be the cheaper and easier route (and the route I wish I could take if I had an ABS issue)

Reaction score
It's probably not a tire issue then. That was a long shot anyways... If it hasn't messed up, I'd just ride it till it does mess up again then I'd go to an empty parking lot or something and pull the fuse and see if it still does it, just to make sure it is an ABS issue (even though it definitely sounds like an ABS problem to me)
A wheel speed sensor is an ABS sensor, and if I had to take one guess at what the issue is that would be my guess. Check out the ABS sensor if it persists.

Edit: I'm assuming you don't encounter too much ice or snow where you live so you may wanna as he said. For me, ABS is definitely nice driving in the snow and ice in the winter

That'll be your call, but ditching ABS will be the cheaper and easier route (and the route I wish I could take if I had an ABS issue)
Alright thanks guys. I appreciate your help!
BTW i pulled my fuse and drove down the road and i couldn't tell any difference in the way it drove or braked.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
You won't really notice not having ABS unless you're driving in ice or snow. Since you probably get very little of that, you have very little to worry about.