Brake Lights stuck on!! I can't get them to turn off!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Short story.

I just installed a temp/compass mirror and did a power mirror conversion on my brothers 94. Somewhere along the way something happened and now the brake lights are stuck on and won't turn off. IDK what is causing it. I need it fixed basically right now because I have to disconnect the battery or it's toast in a few hours.

Long story.

I had to do some wire tapping to install everything. I didn't think I messed with anything that would influence the brake lights. While installing the temp/compass mirror I tapped the following wires.

• Iginition power
  • Constant power
  • Dome light switched ground
  • Illuminitaion (Green wire going to headlight switch)
  • Back up / Reverse lights

Right now the switched ground and illumination wires shouldn't be connected to anything. I just ran them up in the same harness as the rest of the wires for the mirror in case I ever install an overhead console for my brother.

The constant power is also run up to the roof for an overhead console but it is also used for the power mirror conversion.

I tapped into the back up lights in the big bundle of wires near the steering column.

One other thing worth mentioning is that my brother has a remote start/keyless entry unit installed. I didn't do the install on that it was done by a shop. I suppose that could be causing something but it would be coincidental that something went wrong with that when I was working on all this other stuff.

Also worth mentioning is I remember that when I started working on it if I would touch the brake pedal I could hear a relay click and the lights would turn on. Now when I touch the brake pedal I don't hear a relay click. That tells me that whatever relay I was hearing might either have gone bad or the wire that triggers the relay is receiving constant power (or ground if it's ground switched) I don't suppose that the brake pedal switch would have failed but it's a possibility.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured it out!

Some how the brake pedal switch had gotten loose or something and so it was rotated out of alignment so it thought the pedal was half way to the floor when it wasn't. I clipped it back into place and it fixed it. I don't remember working near that though so I'm not sure how I bumped it out of place.