Brake light switch lasts 2 years. Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brake light switches last about two years and then need to be replaced again. Is this normal or do I have another issue?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
These switches look to me like they cost about 10 cents to build. Try buying the best brand you can find and expect that it will still suck. :)

Richard

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have owned 15+ GMT 400 trucks and SUV's and I have never had to replace a brake switch, and I have driven a few of them several hundred thousand miles.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 99 K1500 is still on its original. Are they coming apart on you / getting corroded / some other?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have owned 15+ GMT 400 trucks and SUV's and I have never had to replace a brake switch, and I have driven a few of them several hundred thousand miles.

There was actually a TSB (pretty sure it wasn't a recall) on the 94-up style switch quite a while back, for premature failure. Can't remember what year that came out, but one can assume that shortly afterwards production changed over to an improved switch.

I've replaced quite a few, but not on every truck I've owned.

Richard