Bleeding Coolant - '94 Blazer Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is bleeding coolant. A lot. It is a steady drip coming off the bottom of the engine. I'm not exactly sure where it is coming from though, as the lighting was bad when I first crawled under it. Where should I look? All of the upper hoses are clean and dry, the radiator is only about 2 years old, and the problem just started about a day ago, as the puddle is too small for it to have been leaking for too long, given the rate it is coming out. The only thing I've been using the truck for was hauling stuff from my apartment to my new house (no towing, just whatever fit in it), so no off-roading and no excessive loads. Any advice on what this could be would be appreciated.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my truck, the stupid half plastic-half aluminum rad is leaking at the joints. Im looking into a full aluminum rad and an electric fan upgrade.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm finally all moved into my house, so I now have time to address the problem. I'm hoping/praying it is a hose on the back of the engine area, since I really can't afford anything major right now. I'll report back when I officially find the source.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so how do I get to this heater hose? I see a hose under the distributor - I assume that is the one?

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember tracing it from the heater core, but lost it in the plug wires, which is why I was asking about the distributor. I'll pull the intake and check it out again this week. I did recheck the oil to make sure I wasn't bleeding oil also, and it isn't. Leaking coolant only makes me feel slightly better.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
***UPDATE***

I haven't fixed this yet, but I did look under the hood and do more investigating. First off, it is not the heater hose that connects to the back of the manifold. That hose is dry, the top of the manifold is dry, even after running and watching the water hit the ground, that area is dry.

I had the truck sitting in the driveway, this time parked at a slight decline, and now the steady drip is coming off the front of the engine. I am guessing that when it was dripping off the back of the engine, it was due to being parked at a slight incline, and the water would bleed out and run down the skid plate. After filling the reservoir with water, I crawled under the truck to look for the leak, and I can see seeping on the water pump. So I figure I'm out $30-50 for a new water pump and gasket.

How hard is the install on a new water pump - is it pretty straight-forward?