Bad running after manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you get a BMLF? After looking around, I believe that finding a specific broadcast code MEMCAL isn't so easy :think:

Try searching for "TBIchips.com" with Google, maybe that'll turn up some leads.

What I might suggest is keeping your existing MEMCAL and installing it on an adapter...

You must be registered for see images attach

and then getting a proper firmware load for the manual 5.7, burn it into an appropriate ROM, and install it in your ECU.

This may sound difficult but it's not too bad, esp. if you can get a third-party to supply the $0D firmware for you already burned into a ROM... then it's just plug-n-play.

Adapters like that pictured were once available from Moates.com, but he's no longer in business. I suspect they can still be had if you look around. They...

- fit nicely into the ECU,

- allow you to retain the current MEMCAL's "CAL" function (the MEMCAL plugs onto the adapter), and

- employ a different firmware load via a separate ROM (which gets inserted into the 24-pin DIP socket you see on the left side).

I've used these on a number of vehicles over the years.
Does that adapter allow you to put the smaller version sometimes found in the older PCMs into my version?(like the picture you send some messages ago)

Because I did grab one from the junkyard of that style just in case.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you get a BMLF? After looking around, I believe that finding a specific broadcast code MEMCAL isn't so easy :think:

Try searching for "TBIchips.com" with Google, maybe that'll turn up some leads.

What I might suggest is keeping your existing MEMCAL and installing it on an adapter...

You must be registered for see images attach

and then getting a proper firmware load for the manual 5.7, burn it into an appropriate ROM, and install it in your ECU.

This may sound difficult but it's not too bad, esp. if you can get a third-party to supply the $0D firmware for you already burned into a ROM... then it's just plug-n-play.

Adapters like that pictured were once available from Moates.com, but he's no longer in business. I suspect they can still be had if you look around. They...

- fit nicely into the ECU,

- allow you to retain the current MEMCAL's "CAL" function (the MEMCAL plugs onto the adapter), and

- employ a different firmware load via a separate ROM (which gets inserted into the 24-pin DIP socket you see on the left side).

I've used these on a number of vehicles over the years.
This is what im looking at. https://reddevilriver.com/home-page/ols/products/gm-ecm-prom-adapter-with-zif-socket

Seems like it plugs into my PCM and then I can use the smaller size PROM in there instead?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what im looking at. https://reddevilriver.com/home-page/ols/products/gm-ecm-prom-adapter-with-zif-socket

Seems like it plugs into my PCM and then I can use the smaller size PROM in there instead?
Yes! That is the adapter I use in my 7427. Uses the same 28 pin DIP EPROM or EEPROM. The chip would be a 27SF512. Now all that does is bypasses the factory prom and allows you to use proms that you have burned. I think you would still have to find the MEMCAL for a manual transmission.
Have you been on the gearhead efi site yet? There is a lot of info about these ECM's there.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What's pictured there is functionally the same as what I pictured earlier.

It's designed to mount the MEMCAL onto that row of pins that are sitting on a diagonal. In that manner, it physically connects the non-ROM, hardware functions in the MEMCAL to the ECU, but not the ROM.

Instead of using the MEMCALs ROM, that adapter allows one to insert a different ROM into the DIP socket. The adapter physically connects that different ROM to the ECU.

So "no", this isn't AFAIK a means of using something from a different ECU on your 16196395. The code in the ROM would need to be designed for that ECU, although perhaps modified in some way so as to enable different behavior, e.g., different shift points in an auto trans, or different fueling tables for an engine.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been on the gearhead efi site yet? There is a lot of info about these ECM's there.

No, I haven't been on gearhead EFI.

I haven't made ECU configuration changes ("tuned") an OBDI ECU in years, although I still have the equipment to do so.

My most recent changes are to the configuration running in the OE ECU in my 1998 Suburban L31.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's pictured there is functionally the same as what I pictured earlier.

It's designed to mount the MEMCAL onto that row of pins that are sitting on a diagonal. In that manner, it physically connects the non-ROM, hardware functions in the MEMCAL to the ECU, but not the ROM.

Instead of using the MEMCALs ROM, that adapter allows one to insert a different ROM into the DIP socket. The adapter physically connects that different ROM to the ECU.

So "no", this isn't AFAIK a means of using something from a different ECU on your 16196395. The code in the ROM would need to be designed for that ECU, although perhaps modified in some way so as to enable different behavior, e.g., different shift points in an auto trans, or different fueling tables for an engine.
So pretty much I’d need to get a blank chip and burn the $0D for a 5.7 manual onto it?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So pretty much I’d need to get a blank chip and burn the $0D for a 5.7 manual onto it?

Yup. $0D or whatever would run on that ECU ($8C... maybe all $8Cs are for autos, but you get the idea).

"Burning" it onto an EEPROM like the 27SF512 is pretty simple if you have the piece-parts. Maybe you've already done it(!).

I've got the $0D firmware from a number of trucks, I wonder if they're hard to switch ("tune") for a manual. I see I have a BWAK, a BNHD, BJYM, BJYB, BJYA, BJYL, BJYK, maybe others.

Sometimes those changes are trivial, provided the code was designed for both functions (manual / auto).

Do you have any "tuning" tools / editing experience?

I could fire-up TunerCat on my old laptop and have a look around.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A manual transmission Memcal or tune file does not exist for a 350 Manual that year with that P4 PCM. The Manual transmission trucks were old C3 ECMs and have a different pinout, used a seperate ESC module and a different knock sensor.

Custom tuning a Memcal using the 4.3L V6 calibration, reconfiguring it for the 350 is what I have done before.

It is easier to start with the 4.3L manual file, correct the cylinder count, change the injector data to match the 350, and change the EGR type and and EGR table values than it is to make an automatic tune run a manual well.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A manual transmission Memcal or tune file does not exist for a 350 Manual that year with that P4 PCM.

Help me understand, it appears to me the 1619xxxx ECUs were used for manual transmission 5.7L powertrains in the G2 and G3 vans.

BLHK 1994 34417 16206044 16196395 6046 6015 G3 L05 5.7 MAN
BLHL 1994 34417 16206048 16196395 6049 6025 G3 L05 5.7 MAN

I know you're much more fluent with ECU mods than I.

(EDIT: See the next post, take the first link to the Gearhead EFI thread and read it through entirely; the 5.7L manual bins haven't been located in the wild, they were thought to be deployed only in CA in the G2/G3 vans for emissions reasons)

Custom tuning a Memcal using the 4.3L V6 calibration, reconfiguring it for the 350 is what I have done before.

It is easier to start with the 4.3L manual file, correct the cylinder count, change the injector data to match the 350, and change the EGR type and and EGR table values than it is to make an automatic tune run a manual well.

^^^ Makes sense.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever solution is found for this thread, there is interesting stuff here:

This one too:

Last edited: