Bad Hesitation when cold...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

24c3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i recently traded my RC51 for a 1988 silverado with the 350 auto... when i go to drive it in the mornings it has a real bad hesitation when its cold like if its not getting enough fuel. once the truck warms up it runs fine. I plan to do a tune up soon hopefully that helps.

Also it seems it taks more foot pressure to move the gas pedal in this truck as opposed to my standard one? Is that normal for the autos?

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a MAF change that. My buddy's 99 had a simeler problem. His would practically have a seizure but after it warned up he could do anything. He brought it in and they changed the MAF sensor. Now it's running like a new caddy. A tune up will help also. And if you don't have the money just clean the MAF sensor. If you have one. Also change your fuel filter.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre '96 trucks don't have a MAF, as they are a speed density system. If you haven't done a tune up in a while, I would go ahead and do that before swapping any other parts, as it may cure the whole issue. If you just want some things to try, I would look for cold vacuum leaks around the base of the throttle body and intake. Just get some carb cleaner and spray the gasket areas and listen for a change. Look at the spray pattern on the injectors too. You want a nice, even cone and no dripping. Make sure all vacuum hoses are ship shape and not cracked or torn. Pull the IAC out while you do your tune up and clean it and the passage thoroughly, and perform the IAC reset procedure detailed elsewhere on this site. No codes, I take it?

Oh, and the difference in pedal feel could be a stiff throttle or TV cable. Check those for excessive resistance while you're at it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDont