Any Thoughts on this hub change idea to eliminate 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 Tahoe is a 4x4. I prefer a 2wd as I have no real need for the 4x4.

My plan is to make it lower, which I think can do with the 4x4, but I was thinking taking all that out would improve fuel economy by losing all the extra weight. My thought was using wheel hubs off the NBS truck that is 2wd, thus keeping it a 6 lug. I was wondering if anyone has tried this hub and if it worked or not. Aside from the wheel studs being different, looks like it could work.

I can't afford to go out and buy a 2wd, so this is my idea. It may not be the best way, but I need to bring the height down a little for health reasons.

Here's the back of the hub for a 00 Silverado 2wd...

You must be registered for see images attach

And the one for the 95 4wd...Looks Similar to me....

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks guys for any input...

Shawn

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The biggest difference looks to be the direction of the bolts. I think I see threaded holes in the NBS one. I know in our OBS ones the bolts go from outside to inside. It appears to be the reverse on the NBS.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Point being you currently have a spindle/knuckle with threaded holes in it. If the threads in those spindles/knuckles aren't the same as the ones in the NBS hubs, then its out the window already.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be easier/cheaper to take your cv axles or some from a salvage yard an take apart the spindle end. Put the stub from the end of the axle back through the bearing to hold it together. Throw the rest of the cv axle in the trash an then remove the rest of the 4x4 stuff...

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would be easier/cheaper to take your cv axles or some from a salvage yard an take apart the spindle end. Put the stub from the end of the axle back through the bearing to hold it together. Throw the rest of the cv axle in the trash an then remove the rest of the 4x4 stuff...

Yes, it probably would. My son is constantly yelling at me to leave the 4wd alone, because someday I "might need it". The whole goal here is to lower it down some...nothing radical, just 3-4 inches...

Taking off the 4wd stuff was only to save on fuel.

Shawn

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that. I've thought about doing the axle part myself. My plan was to use salvage yard axles an put the stubs in for the summer to keep the bearings together. Then before (or if) we were going to get bad weather put the axles back in.

From looking at the pictures, if you want to use nbs hubs looks like you might have to drill out the holes in the hub an they should work.