Alternator removal - how?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DN7050

Reaction score
Got started on changing the inlet manifold gaskets and want the alternator off and out of the way. It has a different idea. How does it come out?

I have the two bolts at the front out, the passenger side rear one and the drivers side rear one loose but not out. I've also the nut that's on a stud at the rear, uppermost passenger side slack and with that last three fasteners slackened the bracket they seem to hold is rattling slack but the alternator is still fixed rigid. What's holding it?

edit PS.
Might help if I mention it's 1999 5.7 Vortec.
Most are attached with just the two bolts going in from the front on the bottom of the alternator. However, on some there was apparently also a sheet metal bracket on the back with two bolts on the bottom going into the aluminum mount and a nut on the stud on the back of the alternator (or a bolt there). That bracket is pretty redundant and rarely seen now. The two bottom bolts hold the alternator adequately. Sometimes need to pry the alternator out of the bracket after removing those two bolts. Tight fit.