All around budget sound setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Mount it to the ceiling....after cracking heads a few times, you won't have to worry about anyone wanting to ride in the back. :p

Haha if I didn't want people in the back seat, I'd just remove it and install a custom box with 3 12's in it that ran the full length of the cab. That was my original plan back when I got the truck. Since then I have been in a few situations that absolutely required a back seat. So I feel like I need to keep it just in case.

So would you all recommend mounting my cross overs on my amp rack aswell? I saw one guy in the thread TDOG linked that did that.

Another thing that I'm trying to wrap my mind around is how to run the power wire. I do not see any holes in my firewall. I would have to drill one and use lots of silicone I guess. How did you all run the + wire?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Haha, I've ran mine along the steering column before....did you run the twin battery setup yet?

Oh yeah, you can get grommets for holes after you cut them in the floor. They usually have a soft rubber layer with a hole in the middle made to stretch around the cabling to seal out any moisture/dirt. I'd have to look, but it would prolly take a quick googling is all.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Haha, I've ran mine along the steering column before....did you run the twin battery setup yet?

Oh yeah, you can get grommets for holes after you cut them in the floor. They usually have a soft rubber layer with a hole in the middle made to stretch around the cabling to seal out any moisture/dirt. I'd have to look, but it would prolly take a quick googling is all.

No sir, I barely have enough money to buy all of the components... this has turned into a $750 build. If I need to, I will upgrade the battery in the next month. As of right now, I'm one payday away from placing my final order.

I found these nifty things for firewall grommets. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_35299_Scosche-WPG4-10.html Should make the install look cleaner.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Did you order those rear components and decide not to use them or did you not order them?

Those look complicated lol, can you atleast get them in black? :p

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Did you order those rear components and decide not to use them or did you not order them?

Never ordered them. I am doing the component speakers and amp as one big lump.

Here is what I've spent so far:

Headunit: Pioneer $90
Subbox: $65
Sub: $75
Front speakers: $150
Amp $300
Alternator: $45
Belt: $40
Wiring kit: $60
4 Gauge wire and connectors: $22
adds up to $848ish lol. I was hoping to spend under 5, but I would rather do it right the first time.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
True, my alt crapped this morning.....second alt to go out on a vehicle of mine in the last month. I'm looking at the 07-10 model alts, the ones with 4-wire plugs, anyone know if they'll work with our trucks? Bosch has 2 HD models, 220A and 250A, for $210 and $240 respectively. Also found a "built" Delco AD244 for the 99-05 trucks, the plug looks the same as our's, 4-prong pill-shaped.

Here's a pic:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
That plug looks the same as the CS130D alternator that came out of my truck. Maybe you could just wire up the L wire and run it that way? That is what I did with my CS144 alt and it works great.
Here is a pic of the CS130D plug:
You must be registered for see images attach

Also, I went ahead and bought the Ks6.2 speakers, antenna adapter, wiring harness, and dash kit today. Only thing left is the amp and amp wiring kit!