AEM Dryflow Airfilter Problems - Says K&N on it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I recently ordered a AEM Dryflow AE-10796 drop in replacement air filter for my 98 with the 454. When I received the filter, I noticed it said "K&N" on the end cap with the numbers B060C8 and F037B8 which are K&N part numbers. I called amazon, and they shipped me a second filter and sure enough, it also says K&N on the end of it. I googled a bit and found K&N and AEM are the same company. So, I contacted AEM directly. I explained the situation. The rep at AEM said the filters were manufactured at the same time and the AEM filters say K&N. It is a brighter red color than more K&Ns and the inside is white, so it appears to be the correct filter.

My concern is, this isn't a K&N and with no indication of such if someone were to clean it with K&N cleaner and then oil it, it isn't the proper filter to do so. I expressed this concern to the rep and was told if i wasn't comfortable to return it to amazon. So, for anyone who buys and AEM filter....

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
That's interesting -

I avoid Oil Filters though, Napa Gold for me (even on aftermarket intakes).

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Well the AEM is a dry synthetic filter. I was running Wix/Napa dropin but once i'm running the whipple setup I will have to ditch the stock airbox and use a clamp on style filter.

I completed read over the 'dryflow' part, my bad. Ford uses clamp on filters stock - I ended up finding a F350 filter for my S&B Intake, Napa Gold $14.95 vs $60 replacement oil filter.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's strange.
I have an AEM dry flow on my truck, and it says AEM dry flow on it, but also K&N in smaller lettering below.
Maybe it depends on the filter style I guess? Weird though, here's mine:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you shouldnt really oil a cotton filter anyhow, if k&n and aem are the same thing why couldnt you use the same cleaner, you can use the spectre cleaner on a k7N and vice versa, i dont oil them because its useless therefore i have no worries about it. otherwise its no surprise they are the same company, its like batteries, one day a superstart goes down the line then a run of duralasts then autocrafts all in the same plant.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
hmm, dunno then id assume they are all somewhat interchangeable, like i said its more inneficient to oil them so i usually use a laundry detergent/water/degreaser solvent of some sort to clean my reuseable filters.