Advice on 98 k1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PistonHead99

Reaction score
Hello first time posting here! I am in the market for a first truck. I have a buddy selling a 1998 k1500 ext cab. It came from Texas so it has only seen one winter. It has 260k on the body but only 11k on a new motor he dropped in. He bought it for 3k but wants to sell it for 4,300 because he just bought another truck. Its got straight pipes with a 3in body lift on 33's. Looks very nice but, I am worried about the transmission. It drives normal until you romp on it and shifts very hard after 4k rpms. It also takes a little longer than normal on putting it into drive. My question is, how long do you think I could drive on a going bad tranny? How much would just a rebuild be? What kind of rebuild should be boughten? What other things to look at with a truck with this many miles? What would it be if the truck takes a little longer to start up? Its got a new fuel pump in it too.