Ac issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarondash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1996 k1500. I’m having a very weird issue with my ac. When I start my truck all my speeds work and blows how it should. When I start driving and I hit a bump or take a turn or even give is gas a little harder or even brake the ac blows less air. It stays on the same setting but it gets quieter. Still blowing but as if I turned it down to speed 2. Once I start moving again or turn or whatever it goes back to blowing harder. It’s acting like I turn the speed down then up constantly but it’s on the same setting the whole time. Any help would be appreciated

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Engine running AC on , tap on fan housing any change? Spread changes with vehicle movement similar to loose connection, or ground.

Aarondash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine running AC on , tap on fan housing any change? Spread changes with vehicle movement similar to loose connection, or ground.
I thought it could be a loose connection but it doesn’t cut out it just slows down the speed and then goes back. Where do the wires for the ac run through? What do I have to pull off to see all the connections and plugs and wires?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a blower motor resistor failing or connection problem at that resistor. Your speeds are controlled by electrical current resistance and I would start there. Especially since the problem does not start till moving.

Aarondash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a blower motor resistor failing or connection problem at that resistor. Your speeds are controlled by electrical current resistance and I would start there. Especially since the problem does not start till moving.
I will try that and see what happens

Aarondash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn’t the problem. I put a new one and it didn’t seem to cut out as often or as quick but still does the cutting in and out thing.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I said the resistor itself OR connection problem at that resistor. Tell me how you checked the connector and the wires leading to it. Sometimes, when you push the connector back on, the wire/spade terminals will not be held in connector and will push backwards and then the connection is iffy at best.

Aarondash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said the resistor itself OR connection problem at that resistor. Tell me how you checked the connector and the wires leading to it. Sometimes, when you push the connector back on, the wire/spade terminals will not be held in connector and will push backwards and then the connection is iffy at best.
I pushed it and shook the wires next to it while it was running with ac on and nothing happened.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lots of could be's. The dash controller or an actuator that is being intermittent. Intermittent problems can be the ones that make you pull your hair out. Lots of inspection inside the dash. As I suggested, follow the wiring from resistor and to the actuators and inspect thoroughly. Hopefully a member here has wiring diagram of the wiring circuits so you can first check the ground(s).