ac blower stopped blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFowler

Reaction score
Alright fan blower has stopped i put a new one on changed switch and still nothing all fuses are good also. the funny thing is the positive and negative wire on blower motor show to be grounded when it come to wiring im lost has anyone else ran across this problem also it a 1995 z71

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are showing ground with a continuity tester it will likely read the same on either side of the blower. If the hot side of the blower is disconnected from the blower motor and STILL shows ground then you likely have a wire issue between the switch and the motor.

A test of the blower motor would be to run a wire from the hot side of the battery to the hot side of the blower motor with it otherwise disconnected. If the motor turns then you are on your way to finding the issue by eliminating a bad blower motor as the problem. I assume you have changed or tested the blower motor resistor?

MFowler

Reaction score
If you are showing ground with a continuity tester it will likely read the same on either side of the blower. If the hot side of the blower is disconnected from the blower motor and STILL shows ground then you likely have a wire issue between the switch and the motor.

A test of the blower motor would be to run a wire from the hot side of the battery to the hot side of the blower motor with it otherwise disconnected. If the motor turns then you are on your way to finding the issue by eliminating a bad blower motor as the problem. I assume you have changed or tested the blower motor resistor?
i pulled the blower motor relay out from behind glove box crossed out the wires and blower works but only on high and the switch can be in off position

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is the blower motor resistor which has probably failed if the motor runs when you cross it out. You will need to replace it to get speeds other than high. If it is getting power to that point with the switch off you may have a switch problem.

Someone who knows more than me can tell us if power is present at the resistor independent of the switch. The switch might work by allowing ground. I simply don't know.

MFowler

Reaction score
ok ive got it blowing on high changed resistor still only high but if i turn switch down it kill all power to the ac controls also put a new switch in still same thing any help would be greatly appreciated

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is " crossed out the wires " ? If you keep guessing and changing parts randomly you will eventually fix the problem.
Hint: if fan runs on high , it's not a fan problem. Having missing fan speed control is most likely the resister has lost one or more coils, losing fan speed. If the fan runs, it's not a fan relay problem.
Try not to use vague slang words. You know it, but we can't see it, slang has different meanings everywhere.
The factory service manuals your year, are a free download search in the forum. Book 1 section 8A, 8B, heating, ac, it's all there.
I have 95 K2500 xcab, shtbd. Doing compressor, dehydrater, reservice 134. Right now.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 may have used a different connector, but on the 96+ a melted connector at the blower switch will cause issues with the blower. It’s worth a check. Here is the diagram from the 95 manual.

If you get battery voltage at the resistor connector for each of the first three fan speeds, then the blower switch/connector is not the culprit. You’d then check for varying voltage at the relay connector (Dark blue 101) to verify the resistor.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: