a/c and vent problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just had my a/c charged and was blowing cold air. On my way home everything was working well, had 50/50 blend between dash and floor vents. As I was almost home the air stopped coming out of the dash and only came out of the floor. I moved the switch around but couldn't get it to come out of anywhere else. At the same time the a/c light on the hvac panel stopped working and the air started blowing warmer.
I checked fuses but didn't see any that were blown. Has anyone else experienced this? I figured if the blend door stopped working it would just stop in the position it was in.
Thanks for any help!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Which truck is this, the '92 or '00? I'm assuming the '92 as you said HVAC panel & not knobs..

My experience with both my '88 & '89 trucks has been the blend door motor just in front of and to the right of the gas pedal. Hard to miss that servo/motor thing as it's kinda shaped like a triangle and has an opening in it for the blend door shaft to slide into. 3 or 4 7mm? bolts hold it in place. If that's not your issue or first thing you could try is cleaning the contacts of your HVAC panel. Once you get the dash apart & it out you'll see it kind of resembles a Nintendo cartridge. Clean the contacts with an eraser or alcohol & Q-tips, plug it back in and see if that cures it.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You may want to check the control panel for the AC. If all was working well then all of at once quit, it could be a short, or control panel issue. I would try a salvage yard swap before taking the dash appart, but thats just me

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which truck is this, the '92 or '00? I'm assuming the '92 as you said HVAC panel & not knobs..

My experience with both my '88 & '89 trucks has been the blend door motor just in front of and to the right of the gas pedal. Hard to miss that servo/motor thing as it's kinda shaped like a triangle and has an opening in it for the blend door shaft to slide into. 3 or 4 7mm? bolts hold it in place. If that's not your issue or first thing you could try is cleaning the contacts of your HVAC panel. Once you get the dash apart & it out you'll see it kind of resembles a Nintendo cartridge. Clean the contacts with an eraser or alcohol & Q-tips, plug it back in and see if that cures it.
This issue is in my 2000.

I was thinking it may be the blend door motor but the way it stopped working all of a sudden seemed unlikely. The one in my 92 died and it made that clicking noise everytime I drove it until I changed it.

You may want to check the control panel for the AC. If all was working well then all of at once quit, it could be a short, or control panel issue. I would try a salvage yard swap before taking the dash appart, but thats just me
Good call, I think the control panel might be the likely culprit. I'll test it before ordering a new one, thankfully it's under $150 at summit.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New a/c panel solved the issue, though i could have repaired the old one.
Some gunk found its way under this floating wire-board dealie and stuck the contacts down to the plastic.
IDK where gunk came from :confused:

You must be registered for see images attach