98 Yukon Timing Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
hey guys i'm tearing into my dads 98 Yukon 5.7 to do the timing chain set and some other maintenance while i'm in it, but when i went to order the parts before getting it tore down, i'm running into different width sets. These are the options posted, .275", .280", .285" or .405" sprockets. is there a way to identify what would be equipped on the engine that's original to the truck before tear down?

any help is greatly appreciated.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
From looking at options on Rockauto, I would go with the Cloyes C3092. .280 width roller chain. Alternately you could also use the Cloyes 91157.

Some of the replacements are of the older type silent chain... garbage.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
ok but what is that decision based on? is it actual replacement or is that just the "norm" replacement option

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The two Cloyes sets I listed are rollers, not silent chain garbage. Take a look at the tooth profile and look at the chain itself.

If it isn't evident why a roller chain is better, then I guess buy what you want to buy.

Ask anyone that has worked on engines how good silent chains aren't.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The two Cloyes sets I listed are rollers, not silent chain garbage. Take a look at the tooth profile and look at the chain itself.

If it isn't evident why a roller chain is better, then I guess buy what you want to buy.

Ask anyone that has worked on engines how good silent chains aren't.

Come on Michael! We all know that the General wouldn't steer us wrong! Silent chains are what every high performance engine needs!
Lots of sarcasm in my post!

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
Michael, I wasn't trying to question your knowledge of the replacement parts. But, I work 6 days 12 hours a day and will be tackling this on my next availale Sunday and will be ordering all the parts ahead of time and hopefully wont have much else wrong that wouldn't be available at a local parts shop. I just need to be sure before I order everything. I do apologize if I said it in the wrong manner.