97 Chevy Silverado k1500 keyless/remote start install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just completed doing this on my 1992 i thought it was a PITA but that is mostly because of the brand i used.

Markgyver

Reaction score
I installed a Viper remote start on my truck. I purchased it from Crutchfield which I highly recommend because they can provide you with wiring diagrams and tech support if you run into problems.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read the instructions included?

You said “about to install” , not “about to purchase”. Big difference. It will come with instructions. Spoon feeding you with point by point installation information is quite useless if you dont even have it yet.

I’m not trying to be a tool...but most of those instructions suck for the average user.

Not all vehicles are the same. Some have negative polarity, some need relays, some don’t, some need other add on components to work.

The instructions are normally designed for professional installers who do the work daily...not the average joe. They do not have each vehicles wiring information included. Maybe you’re really good at this stuff so it’s easy. I installed stuff over 10 years ago and remember very little of it now. But it’s very easy to fry a box if you don’t know what you are doing.

To the original poster..the12volt is a popular website...although I’ve never used it. I do recommend you buy a product of Directed Electronics (DEI). They make a lot of the major brands out there. I went with another brand once and instantly regretted it-small issues that would pop up randomly. Also, the vampire clip on connections work ok for temporary hookup, but really recommend soldering once it’s all done. More likely than not you will need relays for door locks.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not trying to be a tool...but most of those instructions suck for the average user.

Not all vehicles are the same. Some have negative polarity, some need relays, some don’t, some need other add on components to work.

The instructions are normally designed for professional installers who do the work daily...not the average joe. They do not have each vehicles wiring information included. Maybe you’re really good at this stuff so it’s easy. I installed stuff over 10 years ago and remember very little of it now. But it’s very easy to fry a box if you don’t know what you are doing.

To the original poster..the12volt is a popular website...although I’ve never used it. I do recommend you buy a product of Directed Electronics (DEI). They make a lot of the major brands out there. I went with another brand once and instantly regretted it-small issues that would pop up randomly. Also, the vampire clip on connections work ok for temporary hookup, but really recommend soldering once it’s all done. More likely than not you will need relays for door locks.
my instructions were meant for a pro that's job is installing.......but i wish i got a avitel DEI owns the company
I may rip out what i got and go with https://www.amazon.com/Avital-5105L-Security-Remote-start-System/dp/B01BHQ1VM6
your 97 have VATS?

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my instructions were meant for a pro that's job is installing.......but i wish i got a avitel DEI owns the company
I may rip out what i got and go with https://www.amazon.com/Avital-5105L-Security-Remote-start-System/dp/B01BHQ1VM6
your 97 have VATS?

I have a 96...no vats. Avital is good, python, I’ve had Clifford...I’ll be honest..I’m not sure what lines they still make. I had some other brand on my 05 and it was buggy...I’ll only use dei from now on.