97 Blazer 4x4 transmission limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
well...

as title says... 97 Blazer, 4.3 4x4 4L60E. Ignition switch has gone out...Keeps the key in, you cannot turn it to the OFF position. there is however, a hidden button on the inside of the column. you access it by using your key to pop the panel off, its about the size of a dime and on the bottom of the column, right by the wheel. on the side by the ignition / key. push a pencil or other slender stick upwards and press the solenoid release and the key will back out. other than the key stuck its pushing transmission into limp mode... 2nd and 3rd gear only... and 2nd is only if i manually drop it to 2nd. until i can put the Ignition switch in, i have hotwired the 4x4 fuse, to the Trans Fuse. And the trans shifts fine... Just passing this information allong and hope someone else gets helped by it.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
the key release is activated by the shift lever in park, you have something wrong in that assembly

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
the shift lever in park, has a solenoid attached to it in the column, which releases the cylinder also. Park has nothing to do with whats currently wrong (hopefully) if it does i'l ground the wiring and remember to put in park before i shut off (to keep from rolling backwards). I did a lot of research and ASE certified mech's looking at the issue have gotten me to where i'm at now... they didn't recommend the hotwire of course.... tahts my redneck stupidity. i have the ignition switch, and aparently this problem... key not coming out, and trans limp mode, are all extremely common to the 97 Blazer/S10 ignition switch... 100 bucks... holy smokes!

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yup... they are a big problem. What we do is reroute the transmission 12 volt supply to its on relay. mounted on the firewall. It's the pink wire on the E terminal on your transmission plug. Even with a new ignition, Ive seen a 2-3 voltage drop. That makes the transmission run on weak voltage. Weakens the solenoid life.