96+ HVAC contols work with 95 GMC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
I've scoured every inch of this site and I cannot find an answer. Will a 96 and up HVAC control work in a 95 or is it year specific? Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
95 is an oddball year.

Its is supposed to be one year only, but I've never tried it myself.

As an FYI, there are lots of "fixes" that can be done to a malfunctioning HVAC controller.

Everything from blower switch replacement (gm sells the switch separately if you know the parts number) to rewiring it.

Its a pretty simple piece of work, mostly resistors, switches and pcb. Easily repaired in most cases.

:)

Last edited:

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I purchased a harness off a member here that is supposed to adapt my 95 to an 96+ HVAC controls. I haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
Thanks great white, that may be the route I'm going to go. I just have a few laying around from random pulls so I figured I'd "ask the experts", if you will.

Supertrucker, please let me know if you do ever get that harness installed and how it works for ya. I want to run rear defrost soon and would love to utilize a Hoe HVAC that I have on hand.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I purchased a harness off a member here that is supposed to adapt my 95 to an 96+ HVAC controls. I haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

New replacement controllers for 1995 are actually 1996-up units with an adapter harness. I don't yet know where (or if) you can buy the harness separately, but if you buy a new controller for your 1995, you'll get a 1996-up with this harness attached, as pictured:

You must be registered for see images attach

(unless of course there's some old stock 1995-specific units out there, which some suppliers might just have)

Be no big deal to make that harness provided you could score the parts cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

Richard