96 4l60e in 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know 95 is a weird year but i read you can get a 96 trans to work if you swap the 3-2 down shift and some other thing. what all is required to get it to work? im having trouble finding a 95 transmission and would like to get my truck driving again

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use a 96 transmission, change the 3/2 downshift control solenoid. The 95 is a 10 ohm, the 96 is a 24 ohm. The plug is very similar but not exact, you can either change the harness or I just trim the clip with a razor knife just a touch. Works well.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
sounds over-priced honestly, you could pull yours and have it rebuilt minus the 40k miles for that.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
You're looking at spending $600-$850 depending on where you live to have it rebuilt. If you have the ability, pull it and have a professional do it. Peace of mind is worth more than someone's word.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i was thinking that. all shops i called wouldnt give me a price and im not about to drive around with my trans in the truck of my car(camry) going shop to shop. i pulled the trans a week or so ago so just saving up and trying to decide what to do. some guy on craigs list rebuiulds them for 800 with 24 month warently but idk how legit it is.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The plastic clip on the wire harness that holds the clip on. Damn Don't spend that on a used transmission tho!!! hell Ill ship you a rebuilt one for that. That's way too much for a used unit.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thursday morning before work i think im going tpo stop by one shop. boss said all the cars in back room have to get out by nov. 1st and mines one of them so trying to get it out. need my headers to come so can fix the 2 bolts and bolt it back up

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
to bad you wernt closer i know where there is 2 95 trannys one is 400 bucks with 88k original miles and one is 200 with 150k on it

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a rebuild kit and do it your self, otherwise have a shop that other recommend rebuild it. Dont go to the cheapest place you can find, you dont want to have to pull the trans back out.
But I can say that I had never rebuilt a trans until my suburban blew its and I just got manauls and the monster rebuild kit and did it myself and its not that hard, just take your time. Theres also a dvd you can get. Honestly when I rebuild the one in my pu I'm going to just order the parts seperately from a couple places because its cheaper then the monster kit.

Ask rhino what all parts you should get.

I will also give you a list of the parts I used if you decide to rebuild.