'96 1500: inst/gauge lamp/bulb sizes (?) + bulb removal tip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled gauge cluster from my new-to-me 1996 K1500. I could tell some lamps were burned out and with 280K on the clock, who knows if anything was ever replaced. Owner's glove box manual lists bulbs used in my truck. Came away with the idea that 194 was the small bulb size needed for the gauge cluster. Ha. Pulled the cluster and found 5 or so that are 194's, rest the sub-miniature size. That was not mentioned in the manual. Apparently GM figured I wasn't supposed to do bulb service on the cluster, and never mentioned those little bulbs. So it appears those small bulbs are either 161's or 74's. I've ordered both. Anyone know which is right????
Next, a tip I read elsewhere for removing those tiny bulbs from the holders. I first used electrical tape, but last night succeeded by using blue painter's masking tape as well. I cut maybe 3 inches off the roll, then split/cut a narrower strip from it. Maybe 3/8" wide. I stick one end on the bulb's glass envelope, and the other end on the opposite side of the glass envelope. Leaves a couple inches of slack, "loop," which I want. (Of course that loop will stick on itself if not kept apart). Now I can put my middle finger through the loop, index finger on one side of the tape covered bulb, thumb on the other side. Gives me a three-point, "pull," grip system. Many of those sub-miniatures are really stuck in there. On rare applications, I think a few are also soldered. This method of bulb removal has yet to fail me. I used to grip those bulbs as tight as I could, with no success. All the while wondering if the glass ever broke it would be guaranteed cuts to fingers. My thanks to the anonymous person for the tip to pull them.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suspect no one will come across this addition...however: Upon inspection of the back of my instrument cluster, I have replaced the half-dozen black or gray larger lamp holders with 194 bulbs. The DRL and Seat Belt marked larger lamp socket/holders are white/tan in color. The bulbs do not want to be removed on those. Is there a reason???????? Different bulb? Different priority? Or are they soldered in? If necessary I'll replace the holders, but I always seem curious about these things.
I'm waiting for delivery of Nos. 74 and 161 sub-miniature bulbs for the balance of the panel's smaller sizes. Still find no clear reference of which, (74 or 161), bulbs I'm supposed to use there. Devil's in the details I guess......

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, in the further continuance of answering my own question, late last night I stumbled across another member, (who I've forgotten now-sorry), and he listed exact answers to my question along with a photo of an identical panel like my '96. Here are his observations:
Gray socket, (3), 194
Black socket, (3), 161
White socket, (2) 194
small sockets, various numbers required, 74
Some remaining speculation on those two white sockets as to whether they are soldered in or not. I guess I'll now pull really hard on the two stubborn ones I have since I don't have spare white sockets.
Perhaps with all this digging, we can have a permanent, maybe sticky, post on this subject.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This wraps it up: my two white sockets had the bulbs.....soldered in. Using the removal tip above, I was able to yank them out. Inside socket, the four little bulb contacts were absent entirely. Soldered in at the very bottom.
That's it; end..............

fishmagnet

Reaction score
Great info, thanks for sharing.
About to dive into this on my ‘98 Tahoe.
Do you know bulb size for AC/Heat control panel?

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
fish, sorry, no. I do not know the size for the HVAC Control Panel. Unfortunately, many of these little bulbs are no longer marked with their size on the bulb. No. 74's, probably too small to mark in the first place.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Updated comments: I installed my instrument back into my truck yesterday. Two things happened: First, when I started the truck and checked out the dash lights, I had NO right turn indicator. Everything else was fine. I played with all that for a few minutes. I did notice the DRL light seemed brighter now. Finally, I shut things down and pulled the panel back out. I removed the right turn signal bulb socket and the bulb was white - it had blown out immediately. (I did ohm-meter checks on all bulbs before re-installing the panel, and all had proper continuity) So that solved that; I replaced the defective new bulb with another new bulb. However, when I first got the panel back out my palm touched the socket for the DRL bulb and it was hot. Now that bothered me. I don't need bulbs running hot in there. I also know I do not plan to use the factory headlight-DRL's,; they did not work when I got this truck and still don't. I removed that socket and left it out. I was later going to pull fuse 15 to kill the dash light anyway. The DRL's socket was originally white, with soldered in bulb. I found a reusable socket and installed the 194 bulb according to the chart provided by another forum member's research here in in the beginning of this thread. So why hot? I guess we need to be careful every step of the way...... For me, now, all seems good.