95 tranny in a 97

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stupid question, but i found a replacement for my blown tranny for a steal of a price. I just need to make sure that a 95 tranny will work in my 97. I think the 95 was the 5.7, but I know they are both 4x4 and 1500's

If there is anything I can tell by looking at the tranny, please let me know. The rest of the truck has been scrapped and the tranny is sitting on a pallet. It has the transfer case on it, and drive shafts with it. At the 100 mark, I'd be an idiot not to try the swap if they work.

edit: price was wrong. 500 not 100, but still a steal if you ask me

Last edited:

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
from my understanding, the 4l60's were used up until 92 and had a kick down cable. the 4l60e started in 93 and didnt have one. Then in 98 they got a deeper pan, but everything should just swap right out between my 97 and the donor 95.... and if I wanted, i could get a pan of a 98 for added cooling.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 1995 4L60E will only drop, bolt & go in another 1995 model without mods. That year was the odd ball year for OBS trucks and it's my understanding the wiring/electronics in the 4L60E's are slightly different than others.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did tons or research yesterday and found the same things posted here. I was also watching this from my phone but for some reason couldn't post. Thank you everyone.

Here is what the entire thing bols down to. Previous owner of this truck had the tranny rebuilt about 40k ago. It pissed oil everywhere and fried my 3-4 clutch pack before I could notice anything was wrong. Its a 3500 rebuild installed and good to go. 2500 if I pull the tranny and install it myself. I have a buddy who scrapped his truck. But he gave the trans to another buddy before hand to pay for some towing he owed him for. So buddy two called me to tell me the tranny was for sale. 500 bucks buys the tranny, transfer case, and drive shafts. He thought it was from a 95. I start making sure it will work. Turns out a 95 wont work. Double check the id number on the thing, its really from a 96. We were wrong about the donor trucks model year. A 96 tranny will work with no issue or modification needed. Time to go check it out. So i get there, the tranny looks great. I know its the inside im worried about, but when you rebuild stuff, it should look pro. This one certainly does. You can tell it wasnt cleaned up after removal, just looks in good shape. The converter looks brand new. The drive shafts are pretty much useless to me as they are for a ext cab long bed and i have ecsb. Good thing mine are fine.... so no biggy. I'll keep these for lengthening or shortening when it comes time for a lift. For 500 bucks I have all these parts and can get my truck on the road earning its keep. I'm going to save up for a build of my other tranny still, but this should last me for now. If I get a week out of it, I'll have the truck for a week. I have a scrap removal job waiting for me to the tune of 2-3k worth of scrap in the fields of a farm. I need the truck to harvest it, so it would still be 500 well spent. If the previous owner of this tranny had it built well, I should be ok for a while. If not, then I will have the money shortly to have my guy bullet proof the damn thing as best you can bullet proof a 4l60e.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some other info I found....

all of the 4l60e will swap and plug right in. The problems would start there since the electronics inside are different. So dont think like i did that "well gm will have different plugs, my plug means it will work" cause it wont.

The internal wiring harness, and solenoids are what is different. Its not as easy as just swapping it in 10 minutes, but can be done.

If you look on the tranny's right rear just above the pan rail, there is a number on there. Its not a serial number but similar length. The first number is the year. for example, the one I just got was 615................ meaning it came from a 96.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I wouldn't give more than $100 for a used transmission. That's USD. To avoid any problems you should try and find one from a '96-98 truck/tahoe/suburban/etc. You can swap them around from other years, but it's somewhat involved and you need to know what you're doing.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up a 4L60e from 95 truck dirt cheap in fact $60.00 dollars well it didn't fit my 93 and I just bought another one.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
It will fit, there are just minor differences in the electronics and valve body.