92 TBI ignition Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftoy516

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am new to the fourm, and this is my first post sorry it is going to be a doozy.
I have a 92 Silverado 4x4 5.7 With a MANUAL.

this truck had been sitting for a while and I bought it from my father-in-law. I had to put a fuel pump in it to start with and one thing lead to another so, I got the truck to run however it was very hard to Re-start after it warmed up, and then when it cooled off it would Re-start just fine, so this lead me to think it was the pickup coil and that lead to me ordering part to throw at it.

all of which you would think would have been simple replacements, however that is why I am posting here.

New items include;

new complete distributor (had parts store test, they said ICM was bad so I bought new ICM verified by parts store)
new coil
new oil pressure sender
new fuel tank sending unit and Fuel pump
new 30A circit breakers for IGN and BAT

The motor was timed TDC on the #1 Cylinder on the compression stroke, with the timing set a 0 degrees. And the plugs have been checked and rechecked that they are in the correct firing order of

For some reason now I am not getting FIRE at the plug wires, I checked power with the meter at the coil and it showed 12v, this truck will NOT hit a lick.
Verified power to the computer on both banks of wires and they showed 12v with the key turned to the run position.
Checked continuity for the ground wire from the ICM to the computer, and it was fine.
Checked and cleaned grounds on the intake, Bat and the one by the thermostat, (both were in good shape)
I have good fuel when trying to start the truck and It looks the same as it did when it was running. its my understanding that if the ICM is sending the correct signal to the computer it should have fuel in the throttle body.
When the truck was running before all of the new parts I checked the Temp sensor and when it was unplugged the truck would rev up because it would dump fuel and when it was re-plugged it would run smooth like normal.
For trial and error I put the old coil back on it with on changes.
I pulled the Oil sending unit back out to make sure nothing was blocking it, and it was clean.

the last time the truck ran we were going to time it, and had the (Tan wire with the black strip) undone and it died and would not re-crank. it would not crank with it plugged up or unplugged, that was before the new coil and Distributor. when I got the new part I thought it would be just a matter of installing them and re-timing the motor, however I am not that LUCKY!!!

If anyone has any knowledge you can offer I would greatly appreciate it, I am trying hard to get this truck going so I can tow my rockcrawler.

Thank you.