92 1500 trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dredding

Reaction score
im looking for some answers for my step dad. he has a 1992 1500 automatic with a 350. what type of transmission is in this?

he is having problems with the transmission.. originally it swithed through gears often too soon and engaged hard when switching, he brought it to a shop and they cleaned or serviced it and it seemed to be fine. now when he is driving at about 55 or higher, AS SOON AS he lets off the gas it drops down a gear and slows the truck down immediately without any "coast" to it... any ideas on the issue?

and last.... his throttle is ridiculously stiff and i noticed it is tied into the transmission through a cable. is there any adjustment to "loosen up" the feel of the throttle? <-- i posted this in here cuz it seems relevant to the transmission..

thanks yall

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
most likely the 4L60 (renamed 700R4) if it's a 4 speed, try a new kickdown cable, you could try unhooking it first and see if that frees up the throttle. about to see if that loosens up the throttle on my 92 Blazer

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
im looking for some answers for my step dad. he has a 1992 1500 automatic with a 350. what type of transmission is in this?

he is having problems with the transmission.. originally it swithed through gears often too soon and engaged hard when switching, he brought it to a shop and they cleaned or serviced it and it seemed to be fine. now when he is driving at about 55 or higher, AS SOON AS he lets off the gas it drops down a gear and slows the truck down immediately without any "coast" to it... any ideas on the issue?

and last.... his throttle is ridiculously stiff and i noticed it is tied into the transmission through a cable. is there any adjustment to "loosen up" the feel of the throttle? <-- i posted this in here cuz it seems relevant to the transmission..

thanks yall

Check for any binding and lubricate the linkage.

most likely the 4L60 (renamed 700R4) if it's a 4 speed, try a new kickdown cable, you could try unhooking it first and see if that frees up the throttle. about to see if that loosens up the throttle on my 92 Blazer

It is NOT a kickdown cable and you CANNOT drive the vehicle with it disconnected. You will destroy the transmission. Testing it at a standstill is fine to check for binding, but it must be connected if you're driving the truck.

JackWagon92

Reaction score
^^^ The cable is a throttle valve cable and just as Chris said you'll nuke the trans if driven with it unhooked. It's a 700R4 I don't believe a 4L60E has a TV cable, although I haven't worked one in years.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
^^^ The cable is a throttle valve cable and just as Chris said you'll nuke the trans if driven with it unhooked. It's a 700R4 I don't believe a 4L60E has a TV cable, although I haven't worked one in years.

THIS is you drive with it unhooked even just a few miles you'll be looking at a full rebuild.