89 5.7/auto gray smoke out drivers exhaust calling all TBI experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucknut25

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first post. I've searched and not found anything. Calling all TBI experts I need some help!

89 k1500 w/ 5.7 / 700R4 341xxx Has no cats, and cherry bombs. I bought it about a year ago and have been slowly putting it back in running condition.

Has run good for a while, but about 3 weeks ago it started smoking at idle out the drivers side exhaust pipe (nothing at the passenger side pipe). Smoke is a gray and smells of gas, also noticed liquid coming out exhaust. (no converters, cherry bomb that dumps before the rear axle).

I tried checking codes and get nothing, just 12. Swapped the injectors and fpr from another tbi I have and no change. I changed the plugs as well, 2 on the drivers side where wet, all smelled of gas.

Anyone have any ideals what could be wrong or where to start, with no codes showing up Im not sure.

Things I know: (may not be relevant but in case it is Ill post)

drivers side exhaust manifold and donut gasket all leak (when its smoking I can see them leaking out #7 and the collector.

has new AC delco plugs (old plugs were not even snugged down...)

Previous Owner put a new distributor in it at some point before I bought it.

Temp sensor on the dash is intermittent.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Have you done a compression check?

Your problem may be 341xxx miles.

Trucknut25

Reaction score
I have not yet, Im picking up a compression check kit today to see what the results are though.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do the plugs look like? You say they are new but I assume you have run them for at least a few minutes? How does it run now that all this has started?

Trucknut25

Reaction score
It runs good actually. I haven't pulled the plugs yet. The old ones were good looking, but 3 where wet and it had been a few days since it was started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
plugs should tell you what you want to know.but all ways check for water in the oil and oil in the water.cap off of the radiator when cold.had a friend on his truck we found.a broken rocker arm..all so is trans fluid getting in to the intake.is the brake booster hose connected to the intake.pull that hose off..it should not be hard to track down..

Trucknut25

Reaction score
No water in the oil or on the cap. Trans isn't loosing fluid either. Hope to have time to check compression this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnB

Reaction score
May need to replace valve seals. My 1990 C1500 5.7L started smoking at 119000. Replaced seals. Problem resolved.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think I'd spend very much money or time working on a small block with 341k miles on it. It would be crate motor time for me.

Trucknut25

Reaction score
Well got the compression test done, 110 lbs on every cylinder but one, which had 100 lbs. But I noticed that the cylinder that had 100 lbs when I pulled the plug, coolant ran out of the plug. So im sure its a cracked head or gaskets. But at 341k Im not interested in fixing that issue. Ive planned on doing an LS swap eventually, guess that time table is getting moved up. Bad thing is Im in the middle of buying a house right now (with a garage), and this truck is going to be my moving vehicle. Im sure by the time its all done the engine will be toast, but if it gets me to the new house I dont care. Time to start searching for an LS and some parts.

Thanks for all the help guys.