88 GMC Truck Timing Advance Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliff Naylor

Reaction score
I have a 88 1500 GMC truck 5.7 TBI which has an spark advance problem. I installed a new 5.7 motor back in 2010 and it has been working like a charm until it started running rough about a week ago. I checked the obvious, cracked or broken vacuum lines, intake manifold and or TBI gasket leaking. Everything looked good. I then checked the timing and found that it was set at 0 Deg. As if the timing wire was disconnected. I found that the ground internal t the ignition module was open. So I replaced the ign mod and that fixed that problem. Timing came back but is now very erratic. After re verifying base timing at 0 by disconnecting by-pass, I then re-plugged the by-pass connector together. Timing at idle was about 14 deg advance. Increasing the RPM moderately retarded the timing to 4 deg then went back up to about 18 at 2500 RPM. I'm thinking I should be getting about 30 ish deg of advance at 2500. I've checked all the wiring for opens and grounds and high resistances. Nothing.. and no codes. Parts that have just been replaced are, Distributor cap and rotor
You must be registered for see images attach
, Delco ign mod in dist, ESC mod, Knock Sensor and ECM. Still the same problem. Timing just wont advance more than 19 deg.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is because there is no load on the engine . Throw a scanner on there with live data and I bet that you will see a difference. If nothing else, you now have a box of good spare parts!

Cliff Naylor

Reaction score
I will try looking for an OBD1 scanner that can look at live data. So you think that going retarted is just because lack of load.??? Well Ill give it a try if I can find a scanner. tks

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is because there is no load on the engine . Throw a scanner on there with live data and I bet that you will see a difference. If nothing else, you now have a box of good spare parts!

No load means lots of timing, high load means less timing.

Cliff Naylor

Reaction score
Yes I read that last night. Im still only getting a max of 19 deg total advance. If it's idling it sits around 14 deg. As soon as it comes off idle it retards to about 4 but then comes right back up to 14 or so. at 2500 rpm it max's out at 19 deg with no load. Something is holding it back...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My snap-on "brick" MT2500 does obd1... actually originally got it cause it was 1 of only a few computers that could hook up and read the "renix" system on my 89 cherokee...

sent from what use to be a great country...