82 GMC 8 track Removal help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so we have an 82 gmc and since my trucks out of commission right now til i get it fixed im trying to get this truck fully road ready.

I have another 2 dial radio to replace the original 8 track player. i just cant seem to get it out from behind the dash, I took the bezel piece off and have the knobs and everything off, ive tried removing the ac switch panel and cant get the radio out

anyone familiar with the old square bodies?

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never had a problem removing them, you mean its loose and just not enough room to get it out? does it have ac? if so remove the cross tube that goes to the little vent on the left. should be plenty of room. as you push it back to clear the stems angle it down, un hook the wires to be sure they aren't holding you up. the metal there is single wall and can be flexed if needed, you can bend it back.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are you saying take it out through the ac control opening? i tried and couldnt get it, theres a black box for the heater or ac on the floor ill have to remove in order to gain access to the back of the radio

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes, it comes out the bottom, haha. just remove the stuff in the way if you need to.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome finally got it out after bending the bottom metal a little and removing the ac unit again so i could flip the radio around and unplug wires and pull it out from the bottom!

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
haha, cool. the one you put back in will be much easier.