$600 2000 C3500 CCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Installed the dually front rotors, calipers, and wheels today after work. It went smooth for the most part… except the driver side caliper. It bolted right up, and I didn’t notice the issue at first, I did however have total hell installing the brake hose. I finally got the hose on, and bolted the wheel etc. up.

It wasn’t until I went to bleed the brakes, that I noticed the bleeder screw was on the bottom of the caliper, instead of the top. Crap, apparently I got two passenger side calipers, and I learned today that either side caliper will bolt up to either side, but obviously the hose won’t easily line up and the bleeder screw will be down low.

Anyways, here’s a couple of pics.
You must be registered for see images attach

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Went and got the correct caliper, put it on, vacuum bled the brakes and went on a test drive. They worked decent for a bit, but then the brake indicator on the dash came on and I lost some pedal. Checked my master cylinder, and it was low, wtf. So I started looking under the truck and found the brake line that runs along the frame rail next to the fuel tank had succumbed to rust. #%\*+ great!!

My only saving grace is that I was already planning on removing the bed anyways, so at least that’ll make it easier to access.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Went and got the correct caliper, put it on, vacuum bled the brakes and went on a test drive. They worked decent for a bit, but then the brake indicator on the dash came on and I lost some pedal. Checked my master cylinder, and it was low, wtf. So I started looking under the truck and found the brake line that runs along the frame rail next to the fuel tank had succumbed to rust. #%\*+ great!!

My only saving grace is that I was already planning on removing the bed anyways, so at least that’ll make it easier to access.

Is it right where the frame goes up, by the fuel filler? Mine's rusted there twice. The first time I had a shop do it, and gave them a coated line that was supposed to last longer, and it only lasted 7 years. When I did it myself, with the bed and tank removed, I used the copper alloy brake line.

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Is it right where the frame goes up, by the fuel filler? Mine's rusted there twice. The first time I had a shop do it, and gave them a coated line that was supposed to last longer, and it only lasted 7 years. When I did it myself, with the bed and tank removed, I used the copper alloy brake line.
That’s exactly where it is. Do they make replacements, or do I have to make (bend and flare) it myself?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That’s exactly where it is. Do they make replacements, or do I have to make (bend and flare) it myself?

When I did the copper, I was able to buy a piece that was already flared on both ends, and the length was just about perfect with a few gentle bends and a "hook" bent right where it attaches to the flex hose. I don't recall if I was attatching it to a factory joint, or if the orginal line was cut there by the shop that replaced it the first time. I guess the short version is, I'd bend and flare it yourself. The line is not a complicated shape in that area, and flaring it pretty easy and the double flaring tool is not expensive. I think I sleeved the new line in a couple areas so it wouldn't rub on the frame.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score

That's exactly where mine let loose a few days ago.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swapped over two of the 265’s over to the squally rims. Holy crap I’ve been in the office too long, that whooped my tail lol.
Mounting an balancing tires sucks. It's a young man's game for sure. I gave myself a fat lip last week putting tires on my son's car. Tire spoon slipped out while I was trying to pry the lower bead up over the head on the machine. I was at just the right angle that I basically punched myself right in the face....

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Mounting an balancing tires sucks. It's a young man's game for sure. I gave myself a fat lip last week putting tires on my son's car. Tire spoon slipped out while I was trying to pry the lower bead up over the head on the machine. I was at just the right angle that I basically punched myself right in the face....
This is the first time I’ve used one of the duck head type machines, all I’ve ever used is the old style center post machines. I had to watch my guys last week to see how it was done lol