5 speed, need smoother shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dj Wolfe

Reaction score
I have a 98 5 speed and i have trouble getting into 1st and reverse, what do i need to do to fix, what part do i need to get smoother shifting?

Steve Cunningham

heavy chevy
Reaction score
I also have a 98 5 speed, and mine was doing the same thing as yours. I took my truck to the local transmission shop and it was the clutch and the Slave cylinder was seized also. The clutch was replaced at 159xxx km and now has 182xxx km now. The truck has been working excellent ever since it was replaced.

7Brandon07

Reaction score
I noticed in my 91 occasionally if I put it in netrul come to a complete stop putting it in first is quite stiff but if if I’m coasting in netrul I can put it in first really easy I too am wandering the cause of this, I was told it has something to do with the synchros

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed in my 91 occasionally if I put it in netrul come to a complete stop putting it in first is quite stiff but if if I’m coasting in netrul I can put it in first really easy I too am wandering the cause of this, I was told it has something to do with the synchros

You should try some redline or royal purple as I agree it sounds like the synchros. They both can do wonders and using non GM manual trans fluid is much less risky than auto/dextron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7Brandon07

Reaction score
I’ll try that out thanks for the suggestion, since I’ll be changing the oil in it in a couple weeks

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I found that Amsoil Syncromesh fluid does wonders on older manuals (as long as its not the NV4500)

eshaw

Reaction score
I don't suppose any of you fellas with the 98 models could send a pic of the white label on the bottom of your black ECM for me that shows the service number and the other info? I'm trying to find one at my local salvage yards and would like to make sure it's the correct one before buying it.

Tom Nassar

Reaction score
I bought a 1998 K2500 with a bad NV4500. I rebuilt the NV4500 and used the synthetic GL4 Amsoil. The synchronizing material on 4 and 5 were gone. Using the right oil is key to longevity.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score

This is due to rev matching and the fact that your clutch isn't disengaging all the way. So, the input shaft of the transmission is spinning at engine speed or slightly less but still turning.... Whenever the rear wheels are moving the output shaft of the trans is turning as well. So it goes into 1st easier when moving because the synchros don't have to work as hard to match the input up with the output. WHen you're stopped, the difference is greater and thus takes longer because the engine is still trying to turn the input shaft while the synchros are trying to stop it.. So yeah, you're burning out the synchro for 1st if you leave this unchecked.

7Brandon07

Reaction score
How would I remedy this ? Using better oil or is my clutch wearing out due to it not disengaging all the way?