5 speed is dying.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. The 5 speed manual in my 1989 chevy c1500 sport (tbi 5.7) is slowly but surely dying. The synchros are getting worn out, and 2nd is particularly bad. It's 30 some years old and has 250k miles, and it's just getting worn out. I am not sure what to do about replacing it. should I stick with a manual, or swap in an automatic? this isn't a performance truck, I daily it and drive everywhere with it, so a stock style transmsision would be fine. The reason I'm considering swaping an automatic is because I'm not satisfied with the smoothness of the manual in that truck, it's always been clunky and I've never really liked it that much. The gears are too far apart IMO and driving in traffic is very annoying, more annoying than most manuals I think. I do however like the deep overdrive, that lets me get great highway MPG.

if i were to stay stick, what transmission should i swap in? stay with the 5lm60/nv3500/hm290 or whatever it is, or swap in something else? the truck has 3:08 rear gears so I don't really need a 6 speed, but maybe a T5 transmission? I do tow occasionally so it needs to be a decently stout unit. nothing crazy but its gotta be able to perform.

If i swap in an automatic, what should i do? I think a 4l80E would be my best bet. I'd need to find an automatic column and brake pedal assembly, but that's not a big deal. is there another transmission I should consider? I'd like to stick to about 2 grand, but that number can be fudged as needed.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't do a T5. There a weak trans even for a car they have no place in a truck. If it where me I would stick with what you have. It's simple and you know it works. No changing anything and making it work. Im not opposed to changing things but with it being your DD it would give you the least amount of down time.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Being a 5-speed I assume you currently have an NV3500? If thats the case you already have the smoothest best car-feeling transmission made for these trucks. The other stronger options will be clunkier and have worse gearing made for hauling heavy loads.

If it is the NV3500, rebuild it with new syncro's and get a short throw shifter and call it good.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone. The 5 speed manual in my 1989 chevy c1500 sport (tbi 5.7) is slowly but surely dying. The synchros are getting worn out, and 2nd is particularly bad. It's 30 some years old and has 250k miles, and it's just getting worn out. I am not sure what to do about replacing it. should I stick with a manual, or swap in an automatic? this isn't a performance truck, I daily it and drive everywhere with it, so a stock style transmsision would be fine. The reason I'm considering swaping an automatic is because I'm not satisfied with the smoothness of the manual in that truck, it's always been clunky and I've never really liked it that much. The gears are too far apart IMO and driving in traffic is very annoying, more annoying than most manuals I think. I do however like the deep overdrive, that lets me get great highway MPG.

if i were to stay stick, what transmission should i swap in? stay with the 5lm60/nv3500/hm290 or whatever it is, or swap in something else? the truck has 3:08 rear gears so I don't really need a 6 speed, but maybe a T5 transmission? I do tow occasionally so it needs to be a decently stout unit. nothing crazy but its gotta be able to perform.

If i swap in an automatic, what should i do? I think a 4l80E would be my best bet. I'd need to find an automatic column and brake pedal assembly, but that's not a big deal. is there another transmission I should consider? I'd like to stick to about 2 grand, but that number can be fudged as needed.

I honestly don't see why you'd even consider an automatic? Finding a used stick is often times cheaper than getting a good used auto.

Also, your trans will probably go another 100k without any serious issues (if you know how to float gears).

I you are really wanting an Auto, you can have my recently rebuilt 4l60e out of my '98 Burb while I get your nv3500/clutch pedal/other stuff (I wish, I got a 4x4, and that would just be too much work too make it work for me).

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T5 transmissions should be installed using wing-nuts, so when they shatter, you don't need tools to swap 'em in a parking-lot. They're a "Doritos" transmission--crunch all you want, they'll make more.

TOTAL fragile, brittle junk. Six-poppers in compact or sub-compact cars used to explode them. And the "World Class" T5 was still a piece of crap that needs "aftermarket everything" to survive in a lightweight ponycar. It doesn't stand a chance in a full-size pickup that tows, and has 3.08s .

Yep, pull the trans you have, fix it, put it back in. Sell the truck. Get a truck with an automatic.