5.7 Vortec to 5.0 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
Ok I have searched and everything has come up the opposite of what I am asking. I have a 99 Tahoe 4wd that had a bad engine(5.7) I have a 98 C1500 ECSB with a GREAT running Vortec 5.0. What issues,if any, would arise if I drop that 5.0 into my Tahoe and hook everything up as was on the 5.7? its the same exact fuel system, emissions system, ignition system. Being OBD II it would relearn itself based on the engines needs correct?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a cousin who kind of did this exact swap by accident, but with TBI era trucks/engines. The only issue he has now is that the 305 runs very rich. Personally if you're going to do it I'd get the PCM in the Tahoe retuned for the 305. It may be the same exact fuel system, but the 305 isn't as thirsty. The PCM can make small fuel adjustments based on running conditions, but it's always going to run rich if it's feeding a 305 with a tune for a 350.

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
I have researched all ignition, fuel and emissions parts and EVERYTHING is the same between both engines. So all I should have to do is have the ECM tuned for the fuel curve of the 305? They use the same fuel pumps, injectors, ignition components, MAF sensors...everything is identical.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have researched all ignition, fuel and emissions parts and EVERYTHING is the same between both engines. So all I should have to do is have the ECM tuned for the fuel curve of the 305? They use the same fuel pumps, injectors, ignition components, MAF sensors...everything is identical.

Believe it or not it will actually run pretty well on the 350 tune. Atleast my 99 Tahoe did. I actually had to do a fair amount of tweaking to make it run right but I also had a 218/218 @ .050, 110 lsa cam, headers, and a cold air intake. But it started up, ran and idled and drove well for the most part.

One thing you will run into is GM never made a 305 tune for the setup this becomes. ALL the 305 applications used a more restrictive single cat and Y-pipe.

The 305 running on the stock 350 tuning actually ran lean for me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Sounds like a plan to me!

I always thought the parts interchange between the engines in these trucks was pretty cool. Even the 4.3L V6 shares a surprising number of parts with the small block V8s.