5.7 vortec running bad need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97gmck1500

Reaction score
Im new to this site. Not sure if I am posting this in the right area. My 97 5.7 vortec started running bad. Missing backfiring and running extremely rich. The same thing happened a few months ago and it had codes for o2 sensors. The local parts store recommend cam position sensor. Fixed the problem and ran great. Now it's all back. I changed cam sensor crankshaft sensor knock sensor plugs wires cap and rotor. Im baffled could this be worn distributor or is it actually the o2 sensors doing this any feed back would be great

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the current codes scanned an tell us what they are. Without the codes we are just taking shots in the dark.

If you ran it for a long time with it running very rich it could have damaged the O2 sensors and possibly the converters.

97gmck1500

Reaction score
Not sure of the code numbers off the top of my head at the moment but they were all for o2 sensors. No activity on both banks and one code foe bank 2 sensor 1 heat Circuit. I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. Truck s
Acts like the timing is way off. I have heard of the distributor being worn out and making base timing off. I have a new one have not installed yet

97gmck1500

Reaction score
P0340 camshafts position sensor circuit and p0154 bank 2 sensor 1 o2 sensor code came up today after I ran the scanner on it. Today is the first time the camshaft code came up after replacement of that sensor in the distributor once last week and tried another yesterday. The back sensors are 02 simulators and truck has cats removed. Deq is not required where I live