5.7 using oil, no smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mainly buy my tools used at Craigslist or local flea markets. Look for old Craftsman, 1946-1967, but even into the late 1990's is good. Or S-K tools, or Snap on or something like that.

Sorry to hear about this engine oil issue. I'm watching. Had an old 1994 big Blazer Silverado that was losing oil but not leaking or smoking. At the time I didnt have enough $ for proper car and just kept putting in more oil. It eventually just stopped running and I went with a Goodwrench crate motor.
My girl is in the antiques business so any yardsale, garage sale , random pile of crap sale I end up going.
I always look for oddball wrenches, things with unusual angles and bends that they just don't make anymore.
Many times they will work in tight spots when a straight wrench wont.
Also where I buy a lot of parts. I have a stack of air filters and oil filters that I usually get for about a buck or two and about 12 sets of brand new plug wires.
Amazing how many people sold the truck but left the parts collecting dust in the garage

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The direct answer to your question is...no! It is all being burned up by the catalytic converter. This is what they do! If you want to see the smoking chimney effect just remove the cat.
I have had several vehicles as well as family and friends that have burned oil and smoked that had operational cats. You can believe what you want and I will believe what I want. With this statement I am done with this post and I will not argue with you.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all these great ideas, I wrote them all down and will check all of them out. I’ll check tailpipe and do a leak down test, etc. I’ve been meaning to get a leak down test anyway. If the rings turn out to be OK I might just do a valve job, but I’ve heard that might start oil going my the rings from increased compression, any opinions on that?
I have put big long cardboard under it during and hours after running it without a drop of oil leaking. Which is really hard to believe because I didn’t bring this up before, but there was one time about 300 miles ago when I had driven it 200, when I stopped along the highway after going fast down a pass, looked underneath and saw oil dripping fast all around underneath that engine. It was dripping from a dozen different places and fast. But it never has done that since. I’ve checked the fittings on the oil cooler lines well and nothing there or anywhere now, not even when I stop quick on the highway. I’ve checked the PCV but not the drain back holes or rings yet. I didn’t know the cat could stop smoke so that was an eye opener. I sure do appreciate all your great information. I’ll let you know what I find out with all those checks.
Just saw this. I wonder if the one time leak was because the pcv got temporarily plugged with some crap and eventually barfed it out?
The only thing that worries me a bit about the oil pressure is the thought that the pickup screen can get plugged full of crud.
But, dont trust the oil pressure gauge on the dash.
They are crazy inaccurate.
Pulling the valve covers is a cheap and easy and it will tell you a lot.
If the head is full of crud, so is the lifter valley and the oil pan.
Official disclaimer, I do not advocate or recommend doing any half assed fix!
But, on the other hand I have filled em full of kerosene and let it soak drain it and do it again.
Just to get out of pulling the pan.
Ive never done that to a tbi and I will probably get torched for mentioning it but....
Back in the day, it was either that or a bus pass.
I dont do busses
good luck

mykytiuk

Reaction score
I have had several vehicles as well as family and friends that have burned oil and smoked that had operational cats. You can believe what you want and I will believe what I want. With this statement I am done with this post and I will not argue with you.
LOL!!! It will never smoke with an operational cat! That is why they are there and that is what they do.