5,7 TBI - low idle when engine is hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LuskenBF

Reaction score
Hello. I have a problem with my truck. It's a 1988 C1500 with a 350 tbi and th700r4.

The truck works fine when cold, but after driving a while and engine is hot the problem starts.
It seems like rpm is too low at idle and when i step off the gas pedal when driving. And voltmeter drops down to 12-13v and lights dim a little bit.
It sounds like the engine is just about to stall, but that has happend just a few times.

Things i have replaced recently:
battery, alternator, egr valve, egr solenoid, intake manifoil + gaskets, gasket under throtle body, fuel filter, spark plugs, spark wires, distributor cap and rotor, knock sensor.
The problem is the same before and after all theese things were replaced.

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To me sounds kinda like a loose ground... Like sky high said run your codes they help a lot

LuskenBF

Reaction score
Tried the "paperclip diagnose trick" again, and it shows code 42.

I also tested the TPS with a voltmeter at it's at 0,63v at idle and 4,5v at wide open throttle, so i guess that TPS is ok.

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Code 42 is "ignition bypass error" that's all I can tell you about that I'd check out the ignition system maybe you can find the problem there