5.7 1997 k2500 coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birchhatchery

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I got a coolant leak I checked oil on dipstick looks good I've let the truck cool down completely and take the radiator cap off no bubbles I've even looked in reservoir when truck is warm up no bubbles. no heater core leak floor is dry. the rate of coolant I am loosing is very small maybe half inch on reservoir in 2 weeks I check it daily no coolant on ground ever no drips. I got condensation in the exhaust pipe I can drive it ten miles and it still has some minor water coming out its clear liquid I don't believe its blowing white smoke/or bluish. just the normal steam we've had temps well below 15 degrees some days -8 so I don't no how long a person would have to drive in that before all water is out of the exhaust I don't think im burning if off cant say for sure though. the only other thing I have noticed is when the truck is fully warm up to temperature if I pop the hood I can smell sweet coolant ive check hoses ive seen no leaks like I said none on ground so could it be a pin hole leak in one of the hoses dripping on motor on evaporating before I see it or hits the ground? anything else I can look for im at a loss

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the loss of a small amount of coolant and the sweet smell.......
It turned out to be the radiator......... Ive lost track of how many I have put in the truck now lol. Now she has a nice aluminum rad!!!!
old rad with a small leak, never leaked onto the ground so I didn't look at it till I pulled the shroud off to do the PS pulley.....
You must be registered for see images attach

Im in AZ and I still have condensation in the tail pipe :smile:

birchhatchery

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well guess I keep running it hopefully that's all it is and I just keep adding it when I need to then id never need to flush it lol its just a old beater truck anyhow

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small leaks turn into big leaks , rads are cheap . engines.......

Not so much .

Sent from my Ground pounding fire breathing Dragon of the IMCA Modified IPhone

birchhatchery

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
its gotta get worse wherever its coming from so eventully I will find it

Virginiabound

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem:

I am finding antifreeze on my steering stabilizer, using a good amount of coolant. No bubbles, no visible leaks, dry covers and dry weep hole on the water pump.

Uggh.

95z71performer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe time for new hoses a friend of mine had his dad's truck at school the other day for the same issue we crawled everywhere we could fit to try and find a wet spot and didn't find anything until we started it and ran itWith the cap off

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I Was having similar leak, but come to find out first was water pump, small puddle under it every blue moon, then found out the radiator was leaking on the side and couldn't see until shroud was off. Changed out both with new hoses, and thermostat and been working out well since.

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
if there are no drips on the ground and you can smell the coolant, I would check next the exhaust manifold. Might be a slow leak that is hitting the manifold and quickly evaporating.