4wd with two diff ratios?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felskee

Reaction score
well since im in dier need of switching my diffs out i can afford the rear one at the moment and not the front. i know you definatly cannot use the 4x4 till i change the front one but what can you do to make sure you never acciddently hit the 4x4 button... remove the fron driveshaft? but i thought when you pull out the shaft it will release diff fluid ?

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Disconnect the actuator. Do you have manual or electric (pushbutton) 4WD?

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Just don't put yourself in a situation where your going to NEED or WANT to use it.. and removing the front driveshaft won't release fluid, i believe 4 bolts holds it to the transfer case, and the ujoint has two metal straps, with 2 bolts per to hold it to the front diff.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Wouldn't it just be easier to disconnect the wires going to the actuator?

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
no i think he has to remove the driveshaft all together simply removing a fuse will not mechanically disconnect the front end from the back only by removing the front shaft will u insure that your front is not binding up with the rear either on the wheels or transfer case

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I agree with Robert (rewind) here. Unplugging the actuator will keep it from locking in the front diff therefore keeping it in 2wd. Simplest and easiest way.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
yea but the front diff is still locked and moving right? the only thing these 4x4 switches do is lock the hubs in esp if its autrac 4wd