4l80e or 4l80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TW97

Reaction score
I have a 97 chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 7.4 vortec with the 4l80e. Transmission and torque converter are bad. The wiring is also bad. They cost a good chunk of change to repair. I don't want to be cheap fixing it. Do I fix the wiring and get a monster Transmission comes with torque converter and oil. Or just get a 4l80 and do away with the wiring?
Down the road i plan on doing upgrades for maybe 450 to 600 horsepower. Want some advice on how one of you would do. I truly think keeping what it has will keep value to it. Like the site thank you

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 7.4 vortec with the 4l80e. Transmission and torque converter are bad. The wiring is also bad. They cost a good chunk of change to repair. I don't want to be cheap fixing it. Do I fix the wiring and get a monster Transmission comes with torque converter and oil. Or just get a 4l80 and do away with the wiring?
Down the road i plan on doing upgrades for maybe 450 to 600 horsepower. Want some advice on how one of you would do. I truly think keeping what it has will keep value to it. Like the site thank you
Fix the wiring, lol monster transmissions.
There is no 4L80. Maybe thinking of the 3L80 aka TH400?

450-600 hp is no problem for a 4L80e, high energy clutches, Sonnax 4l80-LB1 boost valve (stock PR spring), lube mods, rollerize the rear of the case w/a TH350 pump bearing and shims to set end play, dual feed the direct clutch internally, drill the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 per your vehicle's final drive, cam grind, stall speed, intended primary application, desired shift feel and whether or not you block off the 2-3 and 3-4 accumulators. If doing a lot of high RPM driving, install high-tension return springs in the direct clutch...doing a fair amount of racing? Drill a .050-.060 bleed hole as well to further prevent centrifugal apply of the direct clutch when driving through 1st and 2nd.

You can spring for a billet rollerized forward hub if you're power levels are a lot closer to 600 than 450 but even then, it's optional.

Install Sonnax or Transgo updated TCC and AFL valves as most of those transmissions have worn TCC regulator and AFL valve wear when mileage gets north of 150k or so.

I have a 4L80E rebuild series covering a trans that went into a 650-850 HP Twin Turbo LS1-equipped 02 GMC Sierra on my channel if you want to get some build ideas...

LMK if you have any questions...

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monster Transmission doesn't have a good reputation.

Your 4L80 is THE desired auto transmission in these trucks.

Transmission and torque converter are bad. The wiring is also bad.
What makes you think it's "bad"? What are the symptoms? As far as I can tell, the wiring harness is replaceable without having to tear the transmission apart. I'd replace that harness and see how it runs.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monster Transmission doesn't have a good reputation.

Your 4L80 is THE desired auto transmission in these trucks.

What makes you think it's "bad"? What are the symptoms? As far as I can tell, the wiring harness is replaceable without having to tear the transmission apart. I'd replace that harness and see how it runs.
You're correct - harness can be replaced while trans is still in the vehicle.