4L80e 4x4 not locking up and 5 feet of snow!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Called the parts store, I'm looking between 110-130 depending on if I need a 2 pin or 5 pin.

Scrufdog - why would the actuator only engage one wheel if it is broken? That to me doesn't make much sense. Based on how it was driving, neither front wheel engaged.

SixSpeedSS - I will confirm this with a multimeter. I think I will start at the actuator and work backwards. The actuator should get 0 volts in 2wd and 12v in 4LO/HI correct? Can I do this with the vehicle off and the key turned to ONII and by putting the truck in 4HI? I'd like to avoid starting it while I'm underneath, this way I can play with the key and read voltages. How is the exercise different for a 5 pin?

I have a 6lug light-duty 3/4 ton with a 14 bolt SF rear, am I looking at a 2 pin or 5 pin actuator? I don't have the vehicle beside me and want to get the part ordered if needed.

Much appreciated fellas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info regarding the technical details

In regards to my questions, do I read 0v or 12v on the actuator when 4x4 is engaged? Vehicle can be off ?

And how do I determine if it is a 2 pin or 5 pin? Does it depend on model year or chassis type?

Thanks fellas!

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update,

I removed the actuator. So for those of you who are having the same problem, unplug it first. After you unplug it, it is attached to a bracket that bolts onto the frame. It was really difficult to remove the female portion of the plug (attached to the actuator) from the frame.

You need to slide it upwards or something while pressing on a clip, it's stupid

So with the truck in ONII, not running, 4HI engaged, I had 12v at the harness, male portion, going to the actuator, great!

Left the truck in ONII, same as befor, but 2HI engaged, no voltage at the harness. So it is confirmed that the actuator was toast.

Hit it with a hammer, plugged it back in, no luck. Failed the smash test. To take it off I just used a pipe wrench.

It's a two pin, I'll be buying one in the next few days and fixing the 4x4 problem.

Thanks for all the guidance ! Will follow up when it's replaced to confirm everything. Dad in law has a 1/2 ton with a 5 pin, mines a 3/4 with a 2 pin. Not sure the trend.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to switch to the servo actuator my friend.

My 98 is nearly instantaneous 4x4 when I hit the switch. It the OEM servo actuator from 1998 in there too.

I'm and old "lever guy", but for ice and snow covered street driving I'll take that pushbutton any day of the week.

1998 was the first year for the servo IIRC, but it is a retrofit right back to 88.

More info:

http://www.getdieselpower.com/cars/actuator_upgrade/GM_TRUCK_4X4_ACTUATOR_UPGRADE.html

I was under the impression the servo style actuator came out with the electronic 4wd, but never actually looked at mine. I just looked and it is the old thermal setup.

My 4wd high pushbutton only lights up once in a while. I had an extra switch and it does the same. I never really looked at it any further, but would like it to work properly - any ideas?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I was under the impression the servo style actuator came out with the electronic 4wd, but never actually looked at mine. I just looked and it is the old thermal setup.

My 4wd high pushbutton only lights up once in a while. I had an extra switch and it does the same. I never really looked at it any further, but would like it to work properly - any ideas?

Sounds like the solder joints might be bad. Mine did the same until I re-soldered it.

I do believe it will also not work if the TLA doesn't engage. Servo fixes that problem. The servo works or it doesn't, there is no "on again off again" like the TLA when it gets old.

For the rest, download this and have a looky see:

Edit* hold on, have to re-up the file

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sounds like the solder joints might be bad. Mine did the same until I re-soldered it.

I do believe it will also not work if the TLA doesn't engage. Servo fixes that problem. The servo works or it doesn't, there is no "on again off again" like the TLA when it gets old.

For the rest, download this and have a looky see:

Edit* hold on, have to re-up the file

here we go:

http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/77368194/file.html

get it while you can. free file hosting only seems to last a couple days.

As always, scan it before opening it. It was clean when I uploaded it but you never know what they may "tag on"....

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fellas,

Back on topic, where can I find a 2 pin actuator online? Napa wants 120$ and I know I can get it cheaper online

Thanks!