4L60E Trans Problems Need Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I Recently bought a 1994 chevy 4wd it had a 1995 4L60E trans since the 95 model trans was a stand alone year I knew that's why it was acting crazy on me it wouldn't shift it was like it was stuck in 3rd so I traded it off to a buddy for the right 4L60E.

The trans I traded off is doing Perfect in the correct year truck.

Mine on the other hand will not shift out of first when you put it 1 and manually shift to 2 it does fine but nothing past second.. Similar to what the 95 trans was doing in there. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what I can do without having to rebuild it..

I can rebuild the trans my self I'd just like to avoid it if possible.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Was it working correctly in the truck you got it from?

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't witness it workin correctly but the guy we got it from says it was I put a filter in it and changed the fluid in it the fluid I pulled looked real didn't smell burnt had a nice red tint to it

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Well, assuming it was working...

Are you getting any codes? Does it have an adjustable shift or tv cable thats out of adjustment? Are all harnesses securely plugged in?

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has a 3 inch body lift and the shift cable is stretched not lengthened correctly but it takes park reverse Nutural and drive in the correct places on the column I honestly have paid any attention to the CEL I went back under and checked everything over not real sure what the tv cable is the only I haven't hooked back up is a ground that some da Hooked to the bell housing to the frame with the 95 trans

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
get that ground hooked up and see how it is.

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try it but I was assuming the ground wouldn't work properly hooked to aluminum

I forgot to mention this in my first post but the 4l60e has a heat shield on the side that the harness plugs into well I found an old harness in the truck when I bought it come to find out that was the old harness that the exhaust had melted so they spliced in a new one could they have mixed a wire up?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
That, and make sure that the trans fuse is not blown. will produce the same results.

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never thought of a fuse doin that checking that now hooked the ground gonna drive it tommorow and see how she does