4L60E Shift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94whitechevy

Reaction score
I have a 94 chevy c1500 with a 4L60E in it and looking for a shift kit for the trans. The only thing is it has to be good to 400 horse power. I know some people go the route of taking parts from corvette and camaro 4l60e trans. Putting them in a truck trans is that cheaper to do that a shift kit?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I think the TransGo shift kit would be the way to go. I had one installed in my old truck and the shifts were FIRM. The kit's only going to cost you $80, and the tranny doesn't have to be dropped to install. How many miles on the tranny? I wouldn't install it into something with a ton of miles on it.

94whitechevy

Reaction score
The truck has over 200000 miles on it. i belive the trans has been done once before, i need to pull the trans because it needs the front pump seal done on to.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I wouldn't personally install it into something I didn't know the mileage of. Its not as if the kit is going to break the bank, but being that it firms the 1st-2nd shift quite a bit, it might wear what is an already worn transmission. This is just me though.

You can also install a corvette servo with/without the shift kit which will firm up things as well. That can be done for $20-30.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I have a TransGo shift improver kit in my 97. I didn't install it nor know a bunch about transmissions. But I do know that if you have a shift kit installed you do not need corvette servo because the shift kit will already firm up the 1-2 shift! I would also recommend a double roller sprag and a beast sunshell, because those are two weak points in a 4l60e.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
The shift kit isn't going to increase the durability of the hard parts in the transmission, just as an FYI. It will keep the clutch-plates from wearing excessively (hence the firmer shifts vs. the factory valved soft/slip shifting), but that's about it. +1 on the sunshell and sprag. Also think about a reman torque converter. These older trucks have a super low RPM lockup on the boogers. And get a good transmission cooler!

19Yukon97

Reaction score
I just finished my transmission rebuild. Went with lots of new things. I burnt up 3-4, so that was upgraded. I only had 6 bands in the pack that was in the transmission. I know have 8 and they are of a stronger material. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I also did all bushings and races. New torington bearings. I went with the transgo shift kit for 1-2 and 3-4. I also have corvette servos and a billet servo. I upgraded to a bigger trans cooler also, again i cant remember the name. I just know that it has the cooling capacity to cool a motor home transmission. I put the beast and all the 'bigger better' parts in it. I went with a towing torque convertor. It has a lower first gear, to get the boat off the line. Should help mileage alittle in the city.

Every shift is totally different. They are all firm. They arent that much different at idle or 1/4 throttle. You notice the difference at part throttle and full throttle. Let us know what you end up doing! good luck!