4L60E Model Number Identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seger

Reaction score
Can someone provide me with the model of 4L60E transmission I would have in my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 Extended Cab Fleetside with the 5.7 Liter Vortec Motor and 3.42 gears. I have the on the fly push button 4 wheel high, 4 wheel low, and 2 wheel high options. However, I do not have an automatic 4 wheel drive option on mine just the 3 options. I know there a bunch of different iterations of the 4L60E Transmission and I was wondering if someone could provide me with the model I have?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
It is a 4L60E. Has a removable bellhousing.

The end.

Some slight differences are found between 96-97, in the converter clutch material. Allegedly GM put smaller servos in 5.0L transmissions than the 5.7, but I don't recall where I read the reference to that.

If you need to change the transmission, get the correct torque converter for the vehicle. If your transmission is toast, you can use anything from 1995+ provided you change what is needed to match yours in the truck, on a 1995 you need to change the valve body casting, see below. Make sure your torque converter clutch material is the same as your OEM unit. ( if buying a replacement, order for the exact configuration )

1996- 3-2 shift is NON-PWM. It was changed back to a on/off arrangement. The 3-2 solenoid was changed to a 20-31 ohm unit. The 3-2 control valve was changed to "design 2". TCC is still PWM and uses the same 10-15 ohm solenoid as a 95. You can create a 95 trans out of a 96 or vice versa, but you have to change the 3-2 solenoid, the valve body, and the separator plate. If only the 3-2 solenoid is changed (and not the valve body casting), the transmission will 'cut loose' on 3-2 downshifts (shift from 3rd to neutral, then to 2nd as the accelerator is released). 12 pin connector.

1997 (one piece bell housing)- Identical to 1996. Direct swap. 12 pin connector.
1997 (two piece bell housing)- Identical to 1996 EXCEPT the addition of a transmission ground wire in the harness. This was done to address poor transmission grounding issues on the previous models. Can be interchanged with the 1 piece bell housing, but the ground wire should be added to the harness if you are using the 2 piece. 2 piece bell housing models also had hardened sun shells to address the sun shell fracture issue common to the previous model automatic transmissions. Identical in fit, function, and design, the material just changed. 13 pin connector.

1998- Identical to 1997 2 piece bell housing.

1999-up Identical to 1998 and 1997 2 piece bell housing