3500 front end on a z71 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
ok so im new to the site so yall just bare with me on this and im not even sure if this is the rite area for me to put this but here goes anyway . . . ok so i have a 96 z71 and im tired of breaking the stock cvs on it and i have stock tire sizes on it and i know there going to blow out left and rite after i put a lift and some 35s on it . is it possible to put the front end off of a 3500 on my truck and if so what kind of bolt on lift could i use ? or would it just be better for me to just do an sas ? i would realy like to stay ifs because i believe it will be cheaper than an sas sense i can get almost all of the 3500 parts in decent condition out of a local bone yard . any help would be greatly appreciated !

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Frames are totally different in that area. None of the 3500 parts will bolt up. Plus they don't hold up much better to 35" tires then your 1500 parts. So if you insist on that size of tire you are much better off just going straight to SAS at this stage.

Reaction score
i was afraid of that . . . is there anything stronger than the front end i have now that i could use to stay ifs ? i would like to go sas but its just out of my price range rite now to do the swap and not skimp by on alot of parts

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
i was afraid of that . . . is there anything stronger than the front end i have now that i could use to stay ifs ? i would like to go sas but its just out of my price range rite now to do the swap and not skimp by on alot of parts

Not really...there are some upgraded axle shafts but they will cost you more then SAS lol

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The 9.25 front differential will go in, but not easily. Cutting mounts on the diff and suspension lift are usually needed.

Suspension mount points between a 2500/3500 and a 1500 are different on the upper A arms. Again, they will go in, but not easily. Cutting and welding again and very easy to bugger up the suspension points.

If you scrap yard parts it and do your own fabrication, it can be cheaper to do than a leaf spring front but it's still going to pop cv joints if you insist on big tires, lots of suspension travel and/or burying it in the mud....

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I've never once blown up a CV axle and I've beat the bloody piss out of these trucks..

Just gather the SAS parts if your destroying parts that often. SAS Will have a return on investment.. $500-$1k a year on front end parts, solid swap paid off in couple yrs lol

Reaction score
yeah . thats another realy good point lol i already need to replace some parts on the front end as it is lol so i think a sas is definatly what im going to do